Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS indicator light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tenseinobi7 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS indicator light on

I was driving home from the store last night when all of the sudden the red SRS indicator light on the dash lights up. I wasn't sure what to do so I pulled over and checked the manual. It says that it lights up to indicate a possible problem with the airbags or seatbelts. I have an appointment at the Honda dealer here tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so, what you or the dealer did about it. Thanks for any help.

C
Old 08-21-2002
Registered!!

tenseinobi7 is an unknown quantity at this point
in case anyone cares... i took my car to honda this morning and they checked the system and found no problems. they reset the whole thing and checked it again and still no problems. the mechanic told me that sometimes the sensor will flip the light on if you have a box or purse in the passenger seat or if someone adjusts the seat forward or backward. my sister's boyfriend was in my car at the time and he had just moved the seat back when the light flipped on. so, no worries... its all good!

c
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS light is a major issue this one guy's 6thgen civic had SRS light on and when my friend was goofing off and kicked the front bumper the airbags POPPED!!! no one was hurt..whew... a hit hard a speed bump or curb will jolt the sensor, and the light will come on, so once the sensor is messed up a slight hit can activate the bags.. or in some cases of a major accident the bags don't pop
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Macko
SRS light is a major issue this one guy's 6thgen civic had SRS light on and when my friend was goofing off and kicked the front bumper the airbags POPPED!!! no one was hurt..whew... a hit hard a speed bump or curb will jolt the sensor, and the light will come on, so once the sensor is messed up a slight hit can activate the bags.. or in some cases of a major accident the bags don't pop[hr]
Thats really strange because for one I thought that when the SRS light came on your air bags would deploy with full force ina accident, and its really strange that the air bags deployed with a kick to the bumper because the sensor that deploys the airbags is a metal cylinder with a steel ball in it. It takes a hell of a lot of force to dislodge that steel ball for it to make contact for the airbags to deploy. The SRS sensor in the seat is designed to determine the weigh of the occupant so the force of the deploying bag is adjusted. It doesn't make the air bag deploy easier if the light comes on. As far as a air bag not working in a major accident thats correct, because its only designed to work in head on collisions, not side impact or rear end types. Just my 2¢

Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
I had no idea of how the airbags worked. Thanx for the info.
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i had the same prob and i went to the dealership and they told me that somehow the wire going to the sensor was dicsconnected...