Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rear kicking out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOCARx2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
rear kicking out

hey when i take turn or hit a bump at high speeds, the rer of my car kinda drifts/kicks out...is that normal on the 7th gen civics?!?! i figured a front and rear strut bar would help...ne one have this problem?
Old 08-22-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You mean you can do tailslides??? How? FWD cars (Civic included) have serious cases of understeer. Chances are, when you hit a bump in a high speed turn, you're lifting the rear end up. So the car isn't sliding, but "hopping" sideways. If the car is lifting up, downforce (wing) is the way to solve it, but if you put a wing on a FWD car, you're going to put downforce on the back of the car which will lift the front up, and hurt your traction.
Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
This car is fairly well weighted, and the rear does come around first on a corner...

This is suprising in a FWD car, that traditionally oversteer first....but hey it's a honda.

This has happened to me as well as many others, you will especially notice this trend in the winter, there will be several posts about people spinning their cars a$$ first into $hit.
Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
[hr]Originally posted by: mattskav
This car is fairly well weighted, and the rear does come around first on a corner...

This is suprising in a FWD car, that traditionally oversteer first....but hey it's a honda.

This has happened to me as well as many others, you will especially notice this trend in the winter, there will be several posts about people spinning their cars a$$ first into $hit.[hr]
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno about the wing/spoiler adding downforce... "Even street oriented wings don't really start working until until you get over 60mph" K.C Chow of APR Performance...In other words no downforce applied until you're running from cops...

who the hell is going to attack a bump at over 60 mph!?

one way of preventing that is to slow down when attacking bumps, cause you can bottom you front end, or get new shocks for the rear. damn wished i can get those "self leveling shocks off a BMW/BENZ/Audi and install them onto my civic.... My Uncles bimmer had after market suspension imported from europe...can't feel speed bumps

if you want flatter cornering lower your car.. add swaybars, and tie bars, wider tires, and now shoscks... problem solved, but can't solve the problem with the empty wallet
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

GOCARx2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
yea thats wat i meant...the rear hopps....im not talking about speed bumps here im talking about random little humps and wat not on the road...i havnt had promblems with this in other fwd cars...iono it just seems the suspension in the rear isnt stiff enough
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

SleeperCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure that you should worry too much about it. It seems more like a road problem than handling. There are a couple spots on the highways i drive where this happens. Its just a little hop. If you were taking a turn way overly fast and this happened I suppose that you could lose it. Shocks/springs/other suspension may help this, but do you want to pay for all that to stop a little hop now and then? You would end up with a sweet handling car though!
Old 08-25-2002
Registered!!

Firefly is an unknown quantity at this point
You never heard of the rear end bounce problem? It's more common on 2k1s where the rear suspension hops after hitting a bump. Do a search on older threads to find out more.