Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Drivability issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
vboss5764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Drivability issues

I'm working on the 01 Civic for a friend, timing belt broke, I have it all back together with new valves, good comp, idle is ok but can't get passed 3K RPM, at idle or in gear driving, seems like it hits fuel cut or rev limiter. Or maybe its in limp mode? I'm not that knowledgeable on Honda specifics but I'm a retired mechanic relic from the carb days with updated schooling. There is a CEL but my scanner is loaned out, I'll have to go the parts store.
Old 09-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Drivability issues

check oil levels if car is a EX.
then check codes
Old 09-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Need to find out the fault codes.
Old 09-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Woot, we need to guess..
I guess you unplugged the cam sensor even though you shouldn’t and you didn’t blast the hell out of it and the pigtail with electrical contact cleaner before plugging it back in.
Old 09-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Woot, we need to guess..
I guess you unplugged the cam sensor even though you shouldn’t and you didn’t blast the hell out of it and the pigtail with electrical contact cleaner before plugging it back in.
Kinda of hard to replace the head without unplugging things...don't you think. No need to guess, I can do that with out help. Just thought there was a specific reason for the 3K limit.
Old 09-17-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Woot, we need to guess..
Originally Posted by vboss5764
Kinda of hard to replace the head without unplugging things...don't you think. No need to guess, I can do that with out help.
Guys, it's the crank sensor that shouldn't be unplugged during work if at all possible.
There's no way to avoid unplugging the cam sensor.

Just thought there was a specific reason for the 3K limit.
What fault code(s) does it have? Once you have that info, you'll probably be on your way to the answer.
Old 09-17-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

xxxx
Old 09-17-2018
Registered!!

I'm getting a crank sensor code and air intake sensor signal high code, I was running with the air cleaner off at first so that caused the AIT code I think. The wiring harness has to be moved out of the way, so those sensors needed to be disconnected, why is it such a big deal?
Old 09-17-2018

Originally Posted by vboss5764
The wiring harness has to be moved out of the way, so those sensors needed to be disconnected, why is it such a big deal?
Your current situation is why it's such a big deal:
I'm getting a crank sensor code .
Do you really think that's a coincidence?
This often happens after one just unplugs the wiring from the crank sensor: Disturb the contacts and it becomes a poor or intermittent connection problem.
The crank sensor connector seems to be susceptible to moisture entry and corrosion damage, and once moisture gets in there the terminals corrode.

Long ago I learned it's better to unbolt the crank sensor instead of unplugging it.

Okay......So is it fully connected now?
Look inside the harness end, are any of the terminals showing signs of corrosion? Turning green or blue?
If you get a new sensor, I hope you get a good one from a dealership.
Old 09-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your current situation is why it's such a big deal:
Do you really think that's a coincidence?
This often happens after one just unplugs the wiring from the crank sensor: Disturb the contacts and it becomes a poor or intermittent connection problem.
The crank sensor connector seems to be susceptible to moisture entry and corrosion damage, and once moisture gets in there the terminals corrode.

Long ago I learned it's better to unbolt the crank sensor instead of unplugging it.

Okay......So is it fully connected now?
Look inside the harness end, are any of the terminals showing signs of corrosion? Turning green or blue?
If you get a new sensor, I hope you get a good one from a dealership.
It has been connected from the first crank, I ordered a new one, OEM Honda, I'm getting a code likely because the sensor is bad. So never unplug the sensor? just order a new one with car attached? I will check the connections carefully.
Old 09-17-2018
Registered!!

You and I would so get along.

get a good can of electrical contact cleaner. Pull the connector off, squirt good 1/3 of the can on the sensor and pigtail ends. Wait 15 minutes for cleaner to evaporate. Reconnect being sure it clicks.

Don’t think you even need to reset the ECU, just take it for a drive and see if your getting full rpm. The light will stay on until ECU completes a drive cycle, but hopefully it will now be receiving crank signal so it will exit out of limp mode.
Old 09-21-2018
Registered!!

Update, new crank sensor in, runs MUCH better, revs to the redline.