Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Where Do You Plug In the Smoke Machine to Check for Vacuum Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Where Do You Plug In the Smoke Machine to Check for Vacuum Leaks?

For a 2002 Honda Civic, I want to check for vacuum leaks.

Where would I plug in a smoke machine? Which hose do I disconnect?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Where Do You Plug In the Smoke Machine to Check for Vacuum Leaks?

Usually hose to brake booster is first choice.

You dont actually have many vacuum lines and pretty much the ECU would pop a code if any of them was leaking.

Old 09-05-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Usually hose to brake booster is first choice.
To add to this is also helps to block off the throttle body intake during the smoke test. I usually use a ziploc (or other brand) plastic bag and painter's tape. I've only performed a smoke test on a 6th gen and not a 7th using a homemade smoke tester that works very well.
Old 09-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What symptoms cause you to want to do a smoke test?
Old 09-05-2018
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point

PCV Air Leakage P1505.

I replaced both the PCV valve and the PCV Tube.

I also got P0505 Idle Speed Control System. (I removed the throttle body and IAC valve, cleaned them, and reinstalled them. I did the idle relearn procedure with no load. After a "choppy" start, the car's performance greatly improved. Idling at lights (with the A/C on since it's hot here in NYC and my car stereo) seems good. I'm guessing the computer is relearning my habits. For all this work, I also disconnected the battery to clean the terminals.

I just want to make sure there are no other vacuum leaks. Instead of buying or renting smoke machine, I may just try Scotty Kilmer's method of blowing cigar or pipe smoke into the tube and see where it comes out--if at all.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DAC
I may just try Scotty Kilmer's method of blowing cigar or pipe smoke into the
If you don't smoke cigars then buy any crappy cheap cigar for the smoke test. If you do smoke cigars then Arturo Fuentes brand for a nice puff after the testing.

If you have a compressor it's easy to make a DIY smoker out of a paint can, rubber tubing (prefer corded), two 1/4" NPT step (x-mas tree) adapters, and a cigar.