Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

The Malfunction/Check Engine/Emissions Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
The Malfunction/Check Engine/Emissions Indicator

I took my car to Autozone for a code check. My car reported the code that there is a PCV vacuum leak. I replaced both the PCV valve and later the PCV tube on my 2002 Honda Civic.

Will the indictator eventually turn off by itself after a few trips, or do I need an OBD II scanner to clear it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DAC; 09-04-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Punctuation mistake
Old 09-04-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Malfunction/Check Engine/Emissions Indicator

You can either clear it with a scanner or disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute. Autozone can clear it for you.
Old 09-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAC
I took my car to Autozone for a code check. My car reported the code that there is a PCV vacuum leak.
No, the cars computer produces fault code numbers.
Autozone prints a shopping list to get you to buy a lot of parts of dubious quality....most of which only generates revenue for the store and clerk.

What fault code number did your car have?

Will the indictator eventually turn off by itself after a few trips, or do I need an OBD II scanner to clear it?
You could actually disconnect the battery to erase the code.
Make sure you know the code to get the radio unlocked before you attempt this though.

If you didn't solve the problem, the code will return.

Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Usually that code means there is a vacuum leak or the manifold pressure sensor has failed.

Get a live data reader so you can see what’s going on before throwing more random parts at it.

For the “metal oem valve” to trigger that code, it would need to be snapped in half. Usually that valve gets clogged up which won’t trigger any code, until your O2 sensor or Cat goes due to the additional oil getting pushed past the rings and burning them up.

Old 09-05-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Usually that code means there is a vacuum leak or the manifold pressure sensor has failed.
What code number?

I didn't see OP post ANY code number.
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
What code number?

I didn't see OP post ANY code number.
Exactly, There is no actual PCV code (at least on a 7th gen civic). The repair counter person put the read code into the “I need to sell you this app” and boom goes the parts canon..
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i would get the actual code before putting too much effort into it. i have actually had a girl at my local store pretend to scan my car. i've had others try to sell my TPS sensors because it would show 14% and they're not bright enough to know that is tared out like a scale. you really just need to use them for the code and nothing else. you may have no vacuum leak and they are having a manager inspired PCV selling contest today. usually the contests are who can sell the most injector cleaner or had cleaner, but sometimes they get bored. there is an oil change place called "the duke of oil" by my house and every day the employee that sells the most pcv valves gets an extra $5

it could also just be a fluke. i'd clear the code and see if it returns.
Old 09-05-2018
DAC
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies.

My car got two codes:

P0505 Idle Speed Control System. (I removed the throttle body and IAC valve--cleaned both first with two cans of CRC throttle body cleaner and then Super Clean foam. The later was much more effective in breaking up the carbon deposits especially in the IAC. I used a small wire brush, Q-tips, and pipe tobacco cleaner--a small, flexible wire with cloth bristles. As the can says, I made sure not to let it dry on the items and also "rinsed" with a wet towel and then dried them..) I reinstalled both and did the idle relearn procedure. Driving was "choppy" at first, but it improved as I drove more.

I also got code P1505 PCV Air Leakage. I replaced both the PCV valve and the PCV tube (which I got from Hondaautoparts.con. The site has detailed diagrams.) I replaced the PCV valve a few years ago when my engine would die at red lights. It then ran fine. The valve I removed passed "the shake test." Since it's inexpensive, I bought a new one. The old PCV tube seemed hard, and I couldn't see or feel any tears.

Do I need a scanner to clear both codes? If it's not the PCV valve and/or the PCV tube, then what else would trigger "P1505 PCV Air Leakage"?

"How Do I Work This?"--Talking Heads

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2018

then what else would trigger "P1505
P1505 can probably be caused by P0505. Figure out P0505 and the P1505 will probably stay gone.
SOMETHING is causing it to idle in a way the computer isn't able to fully control the idle speed.

The way I read my info, I think the P0505 and P1505 can both be caused by a vacuum leak. That includes the usual stuff everyone thinks of first (also check brake booster and EVAP purge valve for leakage), and/or internal leakage such as an IAC valve that is stuck open.
Old 09-06-2018
DAC
Registered!!

UPDATE: The light went away on its own, suggesting I properly cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve and reinstalled them, and a new PCV tube solved the leakage code issue.

Anyway, thanks for your input and suggestions.