Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic Si Engine Turning Off at Slow Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018
Ninja II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Ninja II is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Si Engine Turning Off at Slow Speeds

Requesting help with '02 Civic Si engine turning off at slow speeds (<5 mph), no Check Engine lights on dashboard

I own a 2002 Civic Si (manual transmission) with 114,000 miles. Two days ago, the engine on this car started turning off unexpectedly at slow speeds. I can restart the engine and accelerate without any issue. But when I need to slow down to 5 mph, the engine turns off unexpectedly without any noise.

There are currently no check engine indicator lights on the dashboard. Based on initial research, I suspected that spark plugs were the source of this problem. I replaced all four spark plugs today, but the car is still experiencing the same issues. Probably good to rule out the spark plugs as the source.

I replaced my battery with a new Interstate battery two weeks ago from Firestone. Could this be the source?

I saw on another forum for a '01 Civic D17 concerning a similar issue that the problem may either be an idle air control valve or an issue between the battery/VE and the ECU.

The engine and transmission on this vehicle appear to still be in good shape.

I would appreciate any help on this issue. I am a novice at best on this problem. Have a good week.
Old 04-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Civic Si Engine Turning Off at Slow Speeds

Did you perform actual idle relearn steps when you changed battery? ECU might have learned a marginal TPS sensor incorrectly and the two issues combined could cause poor idle with loaded engine.

Even though no check engine light is showing, still might be stored codes in ECU so get it read.

System such as the canister purge might be working intermiantly enough to not trigger a light but still cause random lean out.

Easy enough to try relearn, be sure to follow part about turning off the car before driving it else it will be wonkey again.

Can verify IAC working by A, idle starts high when started cold, and B air conditioning turned on bumps idle speed.

Egr issues can can show up in low speed in gear cruising, but usually that would be a speed up / slow down symptom.

Old 04-20-2018
Ninja II

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Did you perform actual idle relearn steps when you changed battery? ECU might have learned a marginal TPS sensor incorrectly and the two issues combined could cause poor idle with loaded engine.

Easy enough to try relearn, be sure to follow part about turning off the car before driving it else it will be wonkey again.

Can verify IAC working by A, idle starts high when started cold, and B air conditioning turned on bumps idle speed.
Slumpertcivic,

Thank you for the recommendations. I will try those out, and I will let you know. FYI: I did get the battery replaced at Firestone. I will call the store to ask if they do the steps when they change batteries.
Old 04-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

they wont do that, they'll just throw in the battery and send you on your way
Old 04-20-2018
Ninja II

Originally Posted by Colin42
they wont do that, they'll just throw in the battery and send you on your way
Lol, all right. I also saw online that it could be the fuel pump. Anyone heard of fuel pump issues on a '02 Civic/Si?
Old 04-21-2018
Ninja II

Slumpertcivic and Colin42,

Thank you for the tips on the idle relearn steps. You recommendations worked! I looked up instructions in the Internet, and the car engine does not shut off at slow speeds anymore.

On another note, I noticed that the temperature gauge reached a high level the last time I drove it (maybe this is another reason why the car's engine shut off unexpectedly). I removed the radiator cap to check the coolant level, and there was barely any coolant under the radiator cap. I also checked the radiator reservoir, and it was nearly empty. I added 3/4 gallon of coolant to the radiator and reservoir. I will inspect the radiator hoses and the bottom of the engine block for any leaks. Thank you again.

Last edited by Black Ninja II; 04-21-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added user, Colin42
Old 04-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Keep an eye on the reservoir level as well