Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slow Turning Engine, Won't Start (new battery)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013
Coburnaswki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jacoburn1304 is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow Turning Engine, Won't Start (new battery)

My car sits six days a week but two weeks ago when I went to start it I had a dead battery. Went to Auto Zone and had them test it to find it was bad. Bought a new battery and installed it and drove the car around for 40 minutes. Parked it and then restarted it a few minutes later. A week later I tried to start it again and instead I get a whiny grinding sound. All of my lights are bright, radio and power locks work so I don't think my new battery is bad. Tried jumping the car with no more luck. Finally I looked at the belts while someone else was turning the key and noticed the belts were moving very slowly which sounds like a result of the sound I'm getting.

Not a mechanic so my best guess from what I know is my alternator is bad. Anyone else have any ideas, suggestions, help? I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slow Turning Engine, Won't Start (new battery)

Something as simple as a light left on can run down a new battery in just a day or two. That alone doesn't necessarily mean the battery is bad, just ran down. Dead does not always mean bad, but it isn't good for the life of the battery.

Jumper cables don't always have good connections so you can't really assume much if it didn't help.

Got a voltmeter? Do voltage checks while cranking.
Have you tried a known good battery?
Old 12-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The grinding sound is more starter, though.
Old 12-30-2013
Coburnaswki

I checked the volts and it was just above 12, which I understand to be appropriate for a battery turned off. Also, tried separate jumper cables and separate cars, still no starting. I manually rotated the belt attached the to the alternator and it was difficult, but I did get it to rotate. Does anyone have suggestions for other diagnosis test I can do in my own garage? Anyway to diagnosis if its the starter? for example.

If I can't figure anything out by the new year I'm going to have to get it towed and fixed by a mechanic which I hate because no matter what it is I know I can do the work myself at a fraction of the cost, but with no garage, I can't really do the work myself.

On that note, if anyone is in the St. Louis area and can suggest an honest Honda mechanic, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I checked the volts and it was just above 12, which I understand to be appropriate for a battery turned off.
Leave the meter hooked up and crank it.
What is the battery voltage WHILE CRANKING?

Next would be to check amp draw of the starter, but you would need a ammeter for that.
Then doing a voltage drop check on the hot cable and grounds.
Old 12-30-2013
Coburnaswki

I appreciate the advice, but I think I'm too the point where I'm above my tool box, and perhaps above my knowledge. Sounds like I'm going to have to find a tow and a local mechanic...damn living in the city! I WANT MY GARAGE BACK!!!

I doubt I'll get it out of the parking garage before the new year so feel free to give me any additional advice before then. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2013

On that note, if anyone is in the St. Louis area and can suggest an honest Honda mechanic, I'd appreciate it.
johndeerebones lives somewhere near StL. You might shoot that question to him. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/m...eerebones.html

StL is big to me, there's a ton of little burb names in it......

I know Scotts in Troy and would have no problem taking anything GM to him, but I have no clue if he/they do much import work, nor do I have any idea how close he is to anyone.

http://autorepair.iatn.net/

HTH
Old 01-06-2014
Coburnaswki

Well, I must say that I am truly embarrassed by what I found out was finally the problem. After looking up everything I could find that seemed related on the internet I finally found out the problem to my car's inability to start. And the problem was...my spark plugs weren't tight. Actually some of them had completely backed themself out of their housing. So, despite a week of my poor car sitting without the chance of starting, its finally working again. Sure wasn't worth me towing it to the mechanic, but it was worth not trying to replace the alternator or something else to find out that's all it was.

Thanks for everyone's input, hopefully I don't have any more foolish posts in the future.
Old 01-11-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad it's running now