Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd Coolant leak issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ccrexer is an unknown quantity at this point
Odd Coolant leak issue

I have a 2004 civic LX with a weird coolant leak issue and I did a search, but found no answers to this particular issue, so I decided a new post is in order.

First a bit of history. I was driving and the heater blew cold air and the temp rose dramatically. I immediately parked and let it cool down. I limped it home as I was close and checked my coolant level, which was non existent. I replaced the coolant and issue resolved for about a month.

Last night I was driving and noticed that my heater would only blow hot at higher speeds. SO I added new coolant and did all the preliminary checks for a blown head gasket. There's no milky oil, no white smelly smoke, and coolant flows fine, although I noticed that this time when I refilled the coolant/water mix (50/50), it was a bit foamy. so I drive to work about a mile and park. After a bit, I notice coolant leaking form the rear passenger side of the engine. At first I suspected a heater core, but my passenger side foot well is dry as a bone. I'm not suspecting the water pump, because logic tells me that water pumps are located by all the belts, under the AC pump and alternator. the foamy coolant has me worried a bit because a head gasket replacement at this point would be too expensive for me.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

Odd Coolant leak issue

I did a search and came up empty.
I have a 2004 lx that's leaking coolant at the back of the motor on the passenger side. At first I thought it would be a heater core, but my passenger foot well is dry as a bone. I don't think it's my water pump because if logic serves, the water pump is ion the opposite side along with the AC pump and alternator. I also don't think it's a head gasket because it's a physical leak, as in I drove it to work today and can see it dripping. I also have no milky oil, or smelly exhaust. I do, however saw that my coolant/water mixture was a bit foamy when I filled it this morning. Dunno if that means anything though

Does anyone know what is carrying coolant to that area of the motor? I have only one day off tomorrow and would rather not spend it at a shop getting it fixed, plus my funds are extremely low and If I can just replace a hose or clamp, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Odd Coolant leak issue

are you SURE its coolant?...that is my first question,

second, you shouldt be using a coolant/water mixture, honda blue coolant is premixed, what kind are you using?
Old 08-29-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2k4 civic weird coolant leak issue

2nd video, 1st post.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 08-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ccrexer
Does anyone know what is carrying coolant to that area of the motor? I have only one day off tomorrow and would rather not spend it at a shop getting it fixed, plus my funds are extremely low and If I can just replace a hose or clamp, that would be awesome.
Heater core send and return hoses are located on the passenger side firewall

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-29-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

Honda blue. It's already 50/50
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

thanks! I'll look at it tomorrow
Old 08-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ccrexer
thanks! I'll look at it tomorrow
Most likely is leaking from the heater control valve:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http:...valve.jpg.html
Old 08-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

SOMEone is gonna have to actually look for themselves and find where the leak originates.

"Borrow" a cooling system pressure tester from DangerZone and use it?
Jack and stands, creeper, flashlight, mirror, whatever it takes to see it and confirm.