Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Nylock headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steven Eisler is an unknown quantity at this point
Nylock headache

Attempting to replace the o-ring in the leaking plug on the cylinder head next to EGR Valve. While attempting to remove the EGR valve, I noticed one of the two 8mm nuts is nylon. One turn of my ratchet and it was already stripped. I've been beating the hell out of that nut to get it off of there to no avail thus far. Any suggestions? Heating it up? Any solvents?
Cheers
Old 02-25-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Nylock headache

Originally Posted by Steven Eisler
Attempting to replace the o-ring in the leaking plug on the cylinder head next to EGR Valve. While attempting to remove the EGR valve, I noticed one of the two 8mm nuts is nylon. One turn of my ratchet and it was already stripped. I've been beating the hell out of that nut to get it off of there to no avail thus far. Any suggestions? Heating it up? Any solvents?
Cheers
Obviously not a factory nut and should be two metal ones. Please post pics. Did you try simultaneously prying under the nut with a flat head scredriver while turning the nut counter-clockwise to remove. Alternatively you could lift up on the EGR valve while trying to turning the nut to remove. Another option is to cut it off with a drimmel, box-cutter or whatever else may work within that space.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

They should be 12 mm regular nuts.
Old 02-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Nylon nut (all plastic) or nylock locking nut?

Worst case might be removing the whole cast piece from the end of the head and carry it to the vise on the work bench so it's easier to deal with.
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

When I took my EGR valve off, the studs actually come off and the nuts stayed on! I had to get the nuts off the studs after I took the valve out.

So the EGR valve bolts are actually threaded studs into the cast. You should be able, if the nut is affixed on there well enough, to thread the stud out of the cast and just get a new stud from Honda.

Not sure if all Civics are like this, but probably?