Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic door locks 2001

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
todar is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic door locks 2001

I have a 2001 Civic (manual transmission) & my driver's door is automatically locking on me. My fob doesn't work when I push the unlock button (yes, batteries are new). Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-31-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Automatic door locks

Assuming this to be a US market car. Post a picture of the fob. Honda did NOT have auto door locks in 2001. This means it is either an accessory honda keyless or somebody has installed an aftermarket keyless entry system. I would remove a aftermarket system that is acting up and replace with a new system.

I would not allow 99% of the aftermarket keyless systems that I have seen to be installed on my car. They are generally cheap 3rd world junk that integrates into too many systems. I did add keyless to my 01 accord last year and it was just that keyless and only keyless. The whole system had 6 wires (2 hot wires, 2 ground wires, 2 door signal wires). The whole system including 2 remotes was $14 on amazon.

The system I used was identical to this and I haven't had any problems with it.
Amazon.com : Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers 8113 : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers 8113 : Car Electronics
Old 12-31-2015
Registered!!

Re: Automatic door locks

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Assuming this to be a US market car. Post a picture of the fob. Honda did NOT have auto door locks in 2001. This means it is either an accessory honda keyless or somebody has installed an aftermarket keyless entry system. I would remove a aftermarket system that is acting up and replace with a new system.

I would not allow 99% of the aftermarket keyless systems that I have seen to be installed on my car. They are generally cheap 3rd world junk that integrates into too many systems. I did add keyless to my 01 accord last year and it was just that keyless and only keyless. The whole system had 6 wires (2 hot wires, 2 ground wires, 2 door signal wires). The whole system including 2 remotes was $14 on amazon.

The system I used was identical to this and I haven't had any problems with it.
Amazon.com : Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers 8113 : Car Electronics
Old 01-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Automatic door locks 2001

Is the car DX, LX, or EX?
Was it equipped with factory or dealer installed keyless entry?
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

I've been told that the 2001 was not factory equipped with keyless entry so I'm going to assume it was "MacGuyver'd".

Originally Posted by ezone
Is the car DX, LX, or EX?
Was it equipped with factory or dealer installed keyless entry?
Old 01-01-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by todar
I've been told that the 2001 was not factory equipped with keyless entry so
That's absolutely incorrect information.
Some were.
Was yours?
Do you want to find out or figure it out?
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

Find out, figure out.......either works for me
Originally Posted by ezone
That's absolutely incorrect information.
Some were.
Was yours?
Do you want to find out or figure it out?
Old 01-01-2016

Accessory install instructions:
https://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/civickeyless01.pdf

Page 2, step 5 remove the cover from the center of the dash, step 6 shows where the little control unit is located.

Location is the same for both factory installed unit and dealer installed accessory unit.