Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power steering pump too high...

Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point
power steering pump too high...

Just installed new drive belts for alternator and power steering pump.

I have adjusted the wingnut for the power steering pump so as to get a decent amount of tension on the PS belt. To do so, I had to use every bit of the wingnut and bracket. The belt is not super tight, still gives a bit to medium pressure. The place where the mounting bolt sits on the mounting bracket is much higher than before, half inch to an inch, and is all the way at the top of the mounting bracket.

I purchased a MasterPro Serpentine belt K040398 from O'Reilly auto, also found here at
amazon amazon
. Supposed to fit 2002 honda civic ex 1.7L.

Wondering if others have their PS pump this high.

Here are a couple pics for reference:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ps pump too high.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	88022   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps belt.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	711.9 KB
ID:	88023  

Last edited by 7thgensurvivor; 08-26-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: pics in line
Old 08-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: power steering pump too high...

If you ran out of adjustment travel, then your belt is too long.

The good thing is the PS belt does not have to be super tight like the alt/AC belt, it's only gotta be tight enough to not squall when you steer all the way to one side.
Old 08-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point

Figure it out. Been so long since I took things apart, I had a separate baggie with the second bolt that connects to the bottom portion of the power steering pump, the swing arc part. Once that was installed, things snugged up right where they used to be. Didn't have the wrong belt, just hadn't found a place for every part yet.
Old 08-27-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well you leaving out important bolts wouldn't have been a first guess LOL
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 7thgensurvivor
Figure it out. Been so long since I took things apart, I had a separate baggie with the second bolt that connects to the bottom portion of the power steering pump, the swing arc part. Once that was installed, things snugged up right where they used to be. Didn't have the wrong belt, just hadn't found a place for every part yet.
you are starting to make ME nervous about this job

are you sure you installed all of the cam bolts and head nuts?

sorry bad joke, but couldnt resist
Old 08-28-2015

How many different threads were started for this one job? I need to consolidate all of them into one.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
How many different threads were started for this one job? I need to consolidate all of them into one.
Nah, its all good. If you feel in the mood for consolidation there are 21k posts about overheating... 99% are the same symptoms of blown head gaskets.
Old 08-28-2015

Originally Posted by bsmiley
there are 21k posts about overheating...
That estimate might be kinda conservative.....