Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oooops - Huge Timing Belt Job No No

Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heath3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oooops - Huge Timing Belt Job No No

So what's this timing belt job no no?

Turning the crank when the timing belt was not on.

Too bad I discovered this after the fact. I was changing timing belt because the car would only start if I disconnected the crank sensor, which is a classic sign that the timing is off.

So let's not dwell on how or why I managed to screw up or the fact that I'm an idiot. Instead I'm wondering if there is a way out of this mess.

I got to this point because as I was turning the crank (sigh) I noticed it got a bit tougher to turn. So I didn't force it, and did a little research. I tried to test the state of things by gently trying to turn the camshaft. It doesn't want to move. So, I know I've really screwed things up. I'm hoping I haven't already bent a shaft or something.

What should I do next? Call a wrecker? Lol. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I've only got $850 or so into this Civic that I got used from someone who gave up on the car because they couldn't figure out how to replace the crank shaft sensor connector. Anyway...

Can anyone help?

Heath

P.S. Did I mention that I'm an idiot?

UPDATE: OK, so I think I may have it worked out (long story), and I've got the timing belt on and I believe it to be all timed well. I've turned the engine through 6 times and timing still looks good. My issue now is... how do I know if something is f**ked up in there? Would I hear it as I was turning the engine? Would I feel it? Is there something I can look for in the rocker arms as I'm turning?

Last edited by heath3000; 06-27-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oooops - Huge Timing Belt Job No No

If you have the timing belt installed and correctly timed, you could bolt the crank pulley on and do a compression test.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oooops - Huge Timing Belt Job No No

so maybe you think you bent a valve or two?? idk

IMO if you think the timing belt is on correct, run a compression test by hand (no starter, no ignition). but really check to see if the belt is on correctly first

good luck!