Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Major overhaul after 250K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Major overhaul after 250K miles...

Got the head off. Some pics coming.

So the big question I have is should I continue with my plans to take the valves out, clean em up and reseat them. Thoughts? Pointers? Haven't found a good thread yet on a 7th gen DIY valve job. Thinking I want to do this while I have it open. Not sure if I need to replace the valve springs. Remember, this engine has 250k on it...

Pics of the head, block, valves, etc attached...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	engine block.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	992.1 KB
ID:	87805   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinders.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	87806   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine head cams.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	991.7 KB
ID:	87807   Click image for larger version

Name:	head valve side.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	87808   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine valves - medium.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	87809  

Last edited by 7thgensurvivor; 06-20-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Got it all buttoned up tonight and all the fluids back in her.

Tried starting it up, but no luck. Starter kicked in and just wouldn't fire. Not sure where to start. I'm beat for tonight. It'll have to wait for the weekend I guess. Was hoping to have it running for my daughter's b-day this weekend, but that doesn't look likely now.

Any ideas on what to check for first? I am going to get my bluetooth OBD scanner setup and see if I can figure anything out from that.
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it timed correctly
Are the valves adjusted correctly
Are ALL of the sensors connected now? Cam and crank sensors?
Got compression?
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Yes, should be timed correctly. I checked TDC at the crank and cam about a thousand times.

Did a very thorough valve clearance adjustment as well before putting the cover back on.

Cam and crank sensors are connected.

Got compression? I think so? when I was turning the crank by hand after putting on the timing belt, I could feel the air coming from the spark plug tubes, and when I put my hand over the tube, it generated enough pressure to break the seal between my hand and the tube pretty easily.

I am pretty sure no fuel is getting into the system. I am thinking the ECU may not be powered, cause I didn't get any readings from my bluetooth OBD scanner. The scanner connected ok, but I don't remember seeing any temperature readings.

Guessing this means that the injectors aren't spraying and the plugs are not firing. Going to look for a blown fuse next.

By the way, when I put the key to position II, I noticed the normal lights on the dash including the engine symbol (check engine) which after a while went away, and then flashed three times. Going to see if I can lookup what this means.

Last edited by 7thgensurvivor; 08-28-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

I remember when I started this job one of the first steps was to remove the fuel relay behind the glove box to ensure the fuel system was de-pressurized. I remember being confused about where the relay goes, and maybe I put it back incorrectly. Going to check this tonight
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Both sets of ground wires bolted to the top by the thermostat housing??

"Got compression?" usually means doing real checking with a real compression tester.

The CEL flashing after having the key on for 15 seconds or so just means the computer has not completed all of its OBD2 monitors yet. If you live in an emissions testing area you can use this to tell if the car is ready to go to test or not.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

All fixed. The fuel pump relay behind the glove box was it. I never put it back in when I first relieved the fuel pressure. That was two months back, so I just forgot about it.

Engine sounds fantastic! A bit of a problem with throttle response as I futzed with the wrong nuts on the throttle and cruise control cables. When I let of the accelerator the RPMs drop to about 2k and then pop up to about 2250. Eventually idle falls to around 750 RPMs. Guessing I just have the throttle cable tension wrong.

Anyway, well on my way. Just need to get the hood and bumper reinstalled.

Hoping to figure out what is wrong with the airbag system. Sara's light is always on.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by 7thgensurvivor
All fixed. The fuel pump relay behind the glove box was it. I never put it back in when I first relieved the fuel pressure. That was two months back, so I just forgot about it.

Engine sounds fantastic! A bit of a problem with throttle response as I futzed with the wrong nuts on the throttle and cruise control cables. When I let of the accelerator the RPMs drop to about 2k and then pop up to about 2250. Eventually idle falls to around 750 RPMs. Guessing I just have the throttle cable tension wrong.

Anyway, well on my way. Just need to get the hood and bumper reinstalled.

Hoping to figure out what is wrong with the airbag system. Sara's light is always on.
The seat belt buckle could be causing the SRS light. Is your car affected by the airbag inflator recall?
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Good guess bsmiley!

I followed the guide to read SRS codes found here: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707

got a 9-3 code which is "faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch".

Called the dealership, and they said the replacement buck switch is covered under warranty. They said they would need to do an SRS system inspection which would be free as well.

What's funny (not really) is my vehicle was part of the SRS recall, and I took it to Morgan Hill Honda to get the airbag replaced. Upon picking up the vehicle, the SRS light was still lit. They told me I would need to schedule an appointment to have that looked at and there would be a $150 service fee to diagnose what was wrong. Amazing, I did it with a paper clip.

The dealership that I called today, and said they would inspect and replace under warranty was Capitol Honda in San Jose.

Once again, Morgan Hill Honda fails!

One more problem well on its way to being fixed!