Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

parts replacement for alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilrob1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
parts replacement for alignment

I asked honda to give me a list of recommendations of parts to replace in order to get my alignment done without it going back to what it is now (hope that makes sense). I know I need to replace my lower ball joints. They told me I need to replace the front lower bushings (I'm assuming those are the ones in the lower control arms?) And they said I need to replace the front sway bar end links. Do I really need to replace the end links? I didn't think that was an alignment critical item? Do I need to replace my rear end links as well then? (They didn't put those on the list). Thanks.
Old 02-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: parts replacement for alignment

Sway bar links are not part of alignment, but they can be annoyingly noisy when bad.
Old 02-17-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no, you don't need to replace them for alignment

but if they do go bad, don't ask the sway bar to do much work

Name:  IMG_20150106_100256_zps26ae35ba.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  115.4 KB
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdaidoji

had that happen to one of my rear ones!
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

rezsst is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely check front lower control arm bushings. Problematic. Go with Moog problem solver. $20 at rockauto
Old 02-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they can get really quiet when they go bad too!
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Is it difficult to replace lower control arm bushings? Do I need special tools? And I didn't think the sway bar end links served any alignment purpose so thanks for confirming
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lilrob1213
Is it difficult to replace lower control arm bushings? Do I need special tools? And I didn't think the sway bar end links served any alignment purpose so thanks for confirming
you need a press to push the bushings in with,

alternatively, you can buy an entire control arm with the bushings already installed
Old 02-18-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikey1
you need a press to push the bushings in with,

alternatively, you can buy an entire control arm with the bushings already installed
Also, the price on changing the bushings and all the expenses with a guy that have a press ends up pretty close to the price of a new arm.

Originally Posted by ezone
I guess they can get really quiet when they go bad too!
LOL!
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Also, the price on changing the bushings and all the expenses with a guy that have a press ends up pretty close to the price of a new arm.

LOL!
Hmm... I might be able to do this, if I had a few pictures of someone actually using a press to get the bushings out? I have a hydraulic press at work I could use. Do I just push on the inner metal part with a socket or extension or something? Do I need to add some grease to the hole in the LCA before pressing in the new bushings?
Old 02-18-2015

Originally Posted by lilrob1213
Hmm... I might be able to do this, if I had a few pictures of someone actually using a press to get the bushings out? I have a hydraulic press at work I could use. Do I just push on the inner metal part with a socket or extension or something?
You have to support the arm correctly below the area you will be pressing, and push on the steel outer ring of the bushing using a "suitable tool".

Someone who uses a press regularly should be able to show you how, so ask around.

Correct orientation and alignment of the bushing is critical if using an original style part. Study the original and mark the new so it can go in exactly like the old one was.

Do I need to add some grease to the hole in the LCA before pressing in the new bushings?
No. Dry, metal on metal.

HTH
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the info!