Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coil Springs.. my weight.. help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Coil Springs.. my weight.. help..

I'm replacing the suspension in my 96 Civic coupe, manual trans. I've settled on the shocks, but for the springs there are two OEM replacements for the front one for automatics and one for manual models. The rears are the same between auto/manual. The spec difference is 957lbs per spring in the front for manual models, and 1038 load lbs for the automatic.

Now here's my question, I am a tall guy and weigh 300lbs, yeah I know I'm big, but with that weight I've had to have alignments with me in the car because I cause the stock suspension to sway to the left. They do the alignment with me in the car so I can drive straight without the steering wheel to the right.

I was doing some calculations for the 96 coupe and wondering if I should just use the automatic model springs on my manual trans civic because of my weight. That way I would have springs that would support me better.

Is this correct thinking? I did calculations based on the weight of the civic (2313lbs), distribution of weight (62%), then dividing that by two to get the individual corner weights. With that I then subtract what the replacement spring can support plus my weight. And all the calculations show with me in the car I'm beyond what the individual spring could support in the front! With the automatic model spring I'm fine.

So let me know if I am correct in my thinking, thanks!!
Old 04-29-2015
Registered!!

Re: Coil Springs.. my weight.. help..

update.. all I want to know is if it's safe to use the automatic model front coil springs on the manual transmission model?? I was going to use them because of the extra weight they could handle.. If anyone could help with this, I would appreciate the help!!
Old 04-29-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is safe. Just may not ride as well, but it probably won't be noticeable.
Old 04-29-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Yes it is safe. Just may not ride as well, but it probably won't be noticeable.
thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I was thinking it might be a little stiffer riding, but at least it would support my weight (290lbs, and 6'6 tall).. I kept having to have wheel alignments done with me in the car, now I know why, the springs were drooping/leaning to one side. Cool, be good that I can get this solved finally.