Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission drain/flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
markp94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question transmission drain/flush ?

So let me first of start by saying i am new to this forum and if there are a lot of these posts then i apologize.

now let me start by saying i have a 2000 honda civic lx with 175k on it. i bought it 3 years ago with 160k on it. the car had one owner before me. i haven't had any issues with the car. i recently bought new tires, replaced the timing belt/water pump and i've done regular oil changes. i'm not sure if the previous owner serviced the transmission at all. recently i had my car in the shop and my mechanic said i should take it to a transmission shop to have it looked at. so me being the preventative maintenance person i am i took my car to a local transmission shop. they told me the ATF fluid was clean and they didn't see any issues with it. so i then asked when should i change the fluid to service it and the mechanic told me never. i find that to be a bit odd. i want this car to last me at least a few more years. the only issue i've noticed is 1st gear is kinda rough. besides that i haven't had any issues. but like i said i am all about preventative maintenance. should i have the ATF drained or wait until i notice more issues? once again sorry this is my first post and i'm new to the forums...
Old 04-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: transmission drain/flush ?

Welcome to the forum

my mechanic said i should take it to a transmission shop to have it looked at.
Why? What problems did he notice?
If it's already got problems, address the problems.
i took my car to a local transmission shop. they told me the ATF fluid was clean and they didn't see any issues with it.
Why don't YOU check the trans fluid?
Tell us what it looks and smells like..

I assume this has an automatic trans?
Yes, absolutely change the trans fluid regularly
(We recommend service every 30k miles or even more frequently).....
Use HONDA DW-1 fluid.

A simple, single drain and fill will take about 2.5 quarts.
It's easier than changing your own oil.

Honda STRONGLY recommends AGAINST flushing their trans using chemicals and a machine!!!
(that's what JizzyLube places will use, so will many many shops.)

If you think you have contaminated fluid, Hondas recommended procedure involves multiple drain-and-fills to replace the majority of the fluid.

so i then asked when should i change the fluid to service it and the mechanic told me never
Bull. Butter.

You were at a trans shop, their interest is self serving.
They WANT your trans to fail, so they can get some work.

Most people ignore the trans services until it's they notice a problem.
NOW they decide to service it, but it's already got a problem.
Problem can't be fixed with a fluid service, and it gets a lot worse rapidly.
Unknowing people blame the trans service as the cause, but the true cause was neglect in the first place.
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

markp94 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm going to check my ATF fluid tonight. appreciate the reply to the post.
is there anyway you can send me a link to a thread on how to change the fluid properly? (not very mechanically inclined) hopefully this forum helps me with that!
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by markp94
i'm going to check my ATF fluid tonight. appreciate the reply to the post.
is there anyway you can send me a link to a thread on how to change the fluid properly? (not very mechanically inclined) hopefully this forum helps me with that!
it is pretty much the same as changing your engine oil,

remove drain plug, let fluid drain, install drain plug and refill with the appropriate amount of fluid
Old 04-30-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Locate suitable clean funnel that will definitely reach into the trans dipstick hole before you start.

Drive to Honda dealer. Purchase 3 quarts of the correct trans fluid DW-1.

Place a pan under the trans large enough to catch all the fluid that comes out.

Locate drain bolt on bottom of transmission. Remove bolt. Drain trans.
IDK if you can work with the car on the ground, you might need to jack it up.

Wipe off the magnet on the drain plug.
Replace seal washer on the bolt and install bolt, torque to spec.

Go up top, get your funnel, refill the trans. Start engine for a minute. Shut engine off. Check fluid level and adjust if necessary.

Dump used fluid into an empty plastic gallon milk carton and take it to Autozone for recycling. Your Honda dealer may take it too.

I left out the part about the case of beer and having to buy a new transmission
The following users liked this post:
95EGTopG (07-17-2023)
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

My local AutoZone told me they do not recycle it. That a guy comes by and buys it and sells it to places that have heating systems designed for it. (guess you could call this recycle..beats dumping it on the grass at the fence line I think.?) That the places that do burn it also get a tax break from using this type of heating system since supposedly it has things to catch the junk in the old oil that will turn us green.
Old 04-30-2015

they do not recycle it. That a guy comes by and buys it
Same difference to the OP.

The stores will (should) accept your used fluids (they do here)--- regardless of who the end user is or what the end result is.
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a 175k trans that was not regularly serviced, changing the fluid can cause leaks. many people had their high mileage Trans fail right after changing the fluid, just my 0.02