Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starter Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warminwisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Starter Problems?

My kid has had an 05 civic for 1 month with auto tranny. Just once it would only click, click click then he tossed it in neutral and pushed it turned the key and it started. What might be the problem? Also the passenger airbag lite will flicker, no carfax report of an accident. Thanks for all the help ahead of time.
Warm
Old 05-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starter Problems?

Just once it would only click, click click
Kinda hard to diagnose it and be certain unless it screws up long enough to diagnose it correctly.

I'll SWAG starter...... solenoid contacts.

Also the passenger airbag lite will flicker,
I don't even wanna guess at that one. How long is a flicker?
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

I never knew pushing a car with an auto could get the car to start, just thought you could do this with a manual. The flicker I get the feeling is very random.

As easy as the starter is to replace you can get a used one shipped to your door for 35 bucks from a bone yard. Do the starters typically have a long life or not? Thanks so much, Warm
Old 05-31-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warminwisco
I never knew pushing a car with an auto could get the car to start,
You can't, and your kid did not push start it.

The auto transmissions you could push start had what they called a "rear pump". Think 1960s and earlier. A kid I work with has a 65 Valiant with this type of trans.

just thought you could do this with a manual.
Correct.
The flicker I get the feeling is very random.
When the light does flicker, how long does the light stay on? 0.14 seconds? 5 seconds at a time?
Which light is it?

As easy as the starter is to replace you can get a used one shipped to your door for 35 bucks from a bone yard. Do the starters typically have a long life or not? Thanks so much, Warm
Hit and miss, IMO. Some do, some don't.

I wonder if you can find just a new solenoid for your starter?
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

So pushing it and turning the ignition just jostled the starter enough to make contact and turn? Is this ever just a fluke episode or is it on the way out? Thanks again. I will look into the solenoid
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

Otherwise so far the car has been good, he does alot of HWy driving, actually we all do here in rural wisco and he is getting 35 mpg's thing uses no oil.
Old 05-31-2014

Originally Posted by Warminwisco
So pushing it and turning the ignition just jostled the starter enough to make contact and turn?
No, the starter did not turn by doing that. I'm sure that if he had instead just twisted the key a couple more times it would have done exactly the same thing (started)-- without shifting to neutral or pushing the car.
Is this ever just a fluke episode or is it on the way out?
The usual cause of the starter going "clunk, clunk, clunk....*sigh*...clunk....crankcrankcrankcrank" is pitting of the solenoid contacts. The contacts are used like a high amperage switch to operate the motor portion of the starter assembly.

Yes, it's on its way. It will probably work fine for a while, then do it a few more times very randomly before becoming a big problem.

This is one of those things where tapping on the starter can usually get it going - one more time.
Thanks again. I will look into the solenoid
It was just a thought. IDK if it would be any cheaper or more or less reliable, or if it is even easily available separately.
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

Complete I see the Denso most expensive 150and the dealer Mitsu or something 330 bucks I see some for 80 bucks
Old 05-31-2014

In my dealer catalog, the auto trans takes the Mitsuba starter.
Manual and CVT trans take the Denso.

Got a local rebuilder? Check your yellow pages. I found this one right away

http://www.fondyautoelectric.com/webpages/starter.html
Old 05-31-2014

Also found 212 plus shipping for a Honda reman through online dealer http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+---
Old 05-31-2014
Registered!!

thanks, the Prospect Fondy shop is a mile from home, will keep ya updated.