Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starter has failed 3 times in less than a year

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gabrown2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Starter has failed 3 times in less than a year

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4 door with 147,000 miles. In April 2014 at 126K i replaced the original starter. My local shop I have used for 22 years and have faith in used a Napa starter as they usually only use Napa parts. Then in August, 4 months later at 131K, that starter had to be replaced (free of charge/labor as it was under warrenty). And here I am 8 months down the road at 140K and the starter quit again today after running errands. I have noticed that since the weather has been getting hotter here in FL, the starter struggles to turn over so when running the first errand it struggles more so to start again. Today, after failing to start, sitting in the parking lot, i remembered what my mechanic mentioned that on a failing starter it will get hot and then not start but once it cools it will. Sure enough, after sitting there after about 20-30 minutes, it started back up but was labored in turning over.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions. It is still covered under warranty but i am sick of dealing with this and the thought of being stranded. Is there something my mechanic is missing and not just the starter?

Thanks all,

GAB2
Old 04-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Starter has failed 3 times in less than a year

Originally Posted by gabrown2
Is there something my mechanic is missing
Yes. A Honda starter.

Those reman parts store ones are no good. The original lasted 120k. Pay a little more to get the oe and you have another 120k miles.
Old 04-11-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Starter has failed 3 times in less than a year

^ agreed

If by some chance you still have the original Honda starter you can take it to an auto electric place and have it rebuilt for a fraction of what a new one would cost.