Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition Key Gets Very HOT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StudebakerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition Key Gets Very HOT???

Yesterday when I remove the key from the ignition after a 15 minute drive, I could have branded a cow with it. It was too hot to touch. Now today I may the same drive and the key was some what warm but about normal I would say. What would cause this heat? Is there something to address. That much heat can not be good. I see a lot of complaints about it but no answers. Anyone know?

This is a 2001 Civic LX
Thanks

Last edited by StudebakerJim; 05-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ignition Key Gets Very HOT???

Perhaps an intermittent short. Heat in electrical is caused by high current -- voltage freed from resistance -- in thin wires or windings.
Old 05-28-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Sitting in the direct sun ?? Shining onto column covers ??

Will make for a hot key.
Old 05-28-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CraigW
Sitting in the direct sun ?? Shining onto column covers ?? Will make for a hot key.
I was thinking that too... but since the key only seems to do this in the ignition, where it can't get direct sunlight... not likely. I live in HI and get lots of sunlight onto my dash on longer than 15-min drives... never had a burn going into my pocket. Unless of course... the OP had the keys baking in the sun (or even not-really-funnier, lying with the metal part on a still-hot rangetop ) and didn't notice until he pulled the keys out after that drive.

Let's hope this is just something simple, and not something shorting in the column.
Old 05-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What would cause this heat? Is there something to address.
It is normal.
The interlock solenoid (under the ignition cylinder and key) generates heat while it is energized.
Old 05-28-2014

Wow -- so making the key hot enough to burn to the touch is normal for this car? Amazing... but not surprising, sadly. :P
Old 05-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Wow -- so making the key hot enough to burn to the touch is normal for this car? Amazing... but not surprising, sadly. :P
If you can, take a look at

Honda Service News Article
July 2003
Ignition key gets warm while driving

(Paraphrased)
The key interlock solenoid is energized whenever the shift lever is not in PARK, so heat from the solenoid gets transferred to the key. This is a normal characteristic and cannot be fixed by replacing parts.

HTH
Old 05-28-2014

Wow... so I guess the OP's temp difference between two same drives...they weren't really the same, then. Another reason not to have an automatic 7th-gen... :/

Last edited by kinakoes2; 05-28-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Typo, syntax