Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hood release

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dave9 is an unknown quantity at this point
hood release

hood release cable broke.. How can i open the hood?
Old 10-10-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: hood release

Did it brake inside at release handle ?? Or outside behind grill ??
Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

LexIS77 is an unknown quantity at this point

For most people the cable breaks off of the release handle inside the car which isn't actually a broken cable, but indicates the cable is starting to bind. Pliers or vise grips will be able to pull the cable to the open position. Now if what you're saying is that the cable was frayed somewhere and actually snapped, that makes things more interesting. Your best bet would be to try and access the 2 or three bolts that hold the latch to the radiator support. Most Hondas also have a 10mm bolt near the bottom front center of the car that attaches the latch to a vertical support brace(sheet metal) that you can take off if you can get the 2 top bolts off but can't get to the 3rd on the bottom(if there is one). Then you just lift your hood, see if your cable actually snapped, and check the latch for binding(binding latch=stress on the cable).

Last tip: Once you replace any parts relating to the latch or the latch itself, test closing it and opening it with a screwdriver before shutting the hood.
Old 10-12-2013
Registered!!

i replace the radiator and reinstalled the latch .. i believe that when i did this the cable came off the latch .. i can hear the cable hitting the latch.. any ideas would be really appreciated...
Old 10-12-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Could be a tough one.

What year we talking about ??

Maybe e will have a suggestion to add to the one above.
Old 10-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW
Maybe e will have a suggestion to add to the one above.
Probably nothing really helpful.

First you really need to know ahead of time how the latch works and what needs to be pushed/pulled to make it release. Look at an identical car.

Or how to unbolt the latch so the hood will come up.

Then you have to get near it. Access.
Either up from underneath or through the grille if possible.

Maybe grab the cable sheath and pull on it right where it enters the latch, hopefully the cables' ball end is what is still attached.

Each car and design is different. Play it by ear.
Old 10-12-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Did it brake inside at release handle ?? Or outside behind grill ??
i believe that when i reinstalled the radiator. and put back the cable release the cable must have come off the latch and i was unaware of it... i think i created a nightmare! i have a 2003 civic lx
Old 10-13-2013

Some good advice above from the mechanical folks. Use a good light and try to see what happens at latch.

Here is a little info that may help. There are a few more but this has best view of latch mech.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01-05 Hood Latch Info.pdf (210.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-14-2013
Registered!!

got it opened ... i drilled a 5/8 hole thru the plastic cover and got at all the three bolts... best to check a drawing first the get an idea where they are located.. thanks for all for you help