Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   hood release (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/357145-hood-release.html)

dave9 10-10-2013 02:49 AM

hood release

hood release cable broke.. How can i open the hood?

CraigW 10-10-2013 07:37 AM

Re: hood release

Did it brake inside at release handle ?? Or outside behind grill ??

LexIS77 10-10-2013 08:04 AM

For most people the cable breaks off of the release handle inside the car which isn't actually a broken cable, but indicates the cable is starting to bind. Pliers or vise grips will be able to pull the cable to the open position. Now if what you're saying is that the cable was frayed somewhere and actually snapped, that makes things more interesting. Your best bet would be to try and access the 2 or three bolts that hold the latch to the radiator support. Most Hondas also have a 10mm bolt near the bottom front center of the car that attaches the latch to a vertical support brace(sheet metal) that you can take off if you can get the 2 top bolts off but can't get to the 3rd on the bottom(if there is one). Then you just lift your hood, see if your cable actually snapped, and check the latch for binding(binding latch=stress on the cable).

Last tip: Once you replace any parts relating to the latch or the latch itself, test closing it and opening it with a screwdriver before shutting the hood.

dave9 10-12-2013 05:33 AM

i replace the radiator and reinstalled the latch .. i believe that when i did this the cable came off the latch .. i can hear the cable hitting the latch.. any ideas would be really appreciated...

CraigW 10-12-2013 08:58 AM

Could be a tough one.

What year we talking about ??

Maybe e will have a suggestion to add to the one above.

ezone 10-12-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4649971)
Maybe e will have a suggestion to add to the one above.

Probably nothing really helpful.

First you really need to know ahead of time how the latch works and what needs to be pushed/pulled to make it release. Look at an identical car.

Or how to unbolt the latch so the hood will come up.

Then you have to get near it. Access.
Either up from underneath or through the grille if possible.

Maybe grab the cable sheath and pull on it right where it enters the latch, hopefully the cables' ball end is what is still attached.

Each car and design is different. Play it by ear.

dave9 10-12-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4649851)
Did it brake inside at release handle ?? Or outside behind grill ??

i believe that when i reinstalled the radiator. and put back the cable release the cable must have come off the latch and i was unaware of it... i think i created a nightmare! i have a 2003 civic lx

CraigW 10-13-2013 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some good advice above from the mechanical folks. Use a good light and try to see what happens at latch.

Here is a little info that may help. There are a few more but this has best view of latch mech.

dave9 10-14-2013 12:44 PM

got it opened ... i drilled a 5/8 hole thru the plastic cover and got at all the three bolts... best to check a drawing first the get an idea where they are located.. thanks for all for you help