Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic Loses Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agent_BG is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic Loses Power

Hello, Just purchased a 02 Civic EX Coupe. Auto Trans, 150K. The issue I'm having is intermittent and no check engine light. After starting the car, When first accelerating the car will get to 5-15mph or so then when im stepping on the gas it's not responding just coasting.. It acts like it wants to cut off but hasnt yet. After repeatedly stepping on the gas it picks up and goes after about 10 seconds and hasn't come back yet while driving after the initial hesitation. If I turn the car off and restart it will do it again doesnt matter cold engine or hot. However, Over the past few days before I take off i rev the engine a bit and it hasn't done it since.. I'm completely puzzled. Please help. Thanks

EDIT: The started happening the same day i bought it but after i took it to a carwash.. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Also wanted to mention that during the power loss while stepping on the gas the RPMS are not revving up

Last edited by Agent_BG; 05-21-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 Civic Loses Power

Washed the engine? Water got into the spark plug tubes?
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Washed the engine? Water got into the spark plug tubes?
No, just a regular drive-thru car wash. No engine cleaning
Old 05-22-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably connect a fuel pressure gauge to see if it is dropping fuel pressure during the event.

Maybe grab a good scanner and watch live engine data as the event happens. See if there are any worthwhile clues there.
And see if there are any codes anyway.

Maybe you found out why someone got rid of the car.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd probably connect a fuel pressure gauge to see if it is dropping fuel pressure during the event.

Maybe grab a good scanner and watch live engine data as the event happens. See if there are any worthwhile clues there.
And see if there are any codes anyway.

Maybe you found out why someone got rid of the car.
Ill look into that.. Don't have those on hand.

This sounds like that serious of a problem to get rid of a car to you?
Old 05-22-2013

Originally Posted by Agent_BG

This sounds like that serious of a problem to get rid of a car to you?
Depends on how much money was thrown at the problem without ever fixing it.

But there is always a reason. Always.

----------------------------------

Plenty of people work on things. Few can actually fix them.
Not very many people are aware of the difference.
Old 05-31-2013
Registered!!

piotr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, Just purchased a 02 Civic EX Coupe. Auto Trans, 150K. The issue I'm having is intermittent and no check engine light. After starting the car, When first accelerating the car will get to 5-15mph or so then when im stepping on the gas it's not responding just coasting.. It acts like it wants to cut off but hasnt yet. After repeatedly stepping on the gas it picks up and goes after about 10 seconds and hasn't come back yet while driving after the initial hesitation. If I turn the car off and restart it will do it again doesnt matter cold engine or hot.
I have a similar problem with my 2002 civic si! if the car is off for a few hours then it starts and idles and drives like a dream. If however i drive the car, then turn it off for a few minutes or up to about 45 minutes then when I turn it on it sputters and hesitates; the engine wont rev despite me putting my foot to the floor. This would continue for about 30 seconds or so then it fixes up and works well again.

Have you been able to diagnose your problem?
Old 05-31-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by piotr
I have a similar problem with my 2002 civic si! if the car is off for a few hours then it starts and idles and drives like a dream. If however i drive the car, then turn it off for a few minutes or up to about 45 minutes then when I turn it on it sputters and hesitates; the engine wont rev despite me putting my foot to the floor. This would continue for about 30 seconds or so then it fixes up and works well again.

Have you been able to diagnose your problem?
Sounds just like my problem.. but yeah man thankfully it was just the main 02 sensor. Hope that works for you. It's easy to check by just unplugging it and if it runs fine then that's the problem. Good luck
Old 06-01-2013
Registered!!

piotr is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds just like my problem.. but yeah man thankfully it was just the main 02 sensor. Hope that works for you. It's easy to check by just unplugging it and if it runs fine then that's the problem. Good luck
awesome! is the main O2 sensor the one that comes off the hedders? I changed my sensor in the cat and that didn't do anything.
Old 06-04-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Do some research before throwing parts at it, otherwise you end up breaking the bank for a cheap fix. The 02 sensor in the cat is only there to read emissions data to check if the cat is working, the engine uses the upstream (On the exhaust manifold for DX/LX, on the exhaust pipe in front of the oil pan for EX) 02 sensor to decide how much fuel to mix in. That's the one that would need replacing but I would think if it were bad your check engine light would have come on at least once by the time it gets to noticeably affecting performance.

If you do find it is the upstream 02, Advance Auto is currently having a sale on NTK 02 sensors as well as a $10 rebate.
Old 06-04-2013
Registered!!

cpshahid is an unknown quantity at this point

I just dropped my car off at the mechanic for the same thing. My air conditioning went hot and then I pressed the accelerator and went NOWHERE! The mechanic is saying that there are 10 codes showing up with the sensor and he's going to keep it overnight to figure out which codes are ghost codes. I also had my timing belt replaced and the A/C belt replaced exactly a month ago. I'll post what I find out tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2013
camo

Camo is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv started having the same problem with my 01 EX But I have replaced the same 02 sensor twice last month it now has a bosch one . Could that be the problem ?
Old 06-12-2013

Originally Posted by Camo
it now has a bosch one . Could that be the problem ?
Absolutely.
These cars don't like the wrong parts.

Use a factory sensor or whatever brand the factory installed (NTK or DENSO, normally it's a DENSO) the original had the name stamped into the side of the sensor.

http://www.densoautoparts.com/find-m...icle-selection