Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NO IDEA what 2 do ..overheating again x4 new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxinggsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
NO IDEA what 2 do ..overheating again x4 new motor?

Ok so this car has had problems overheating for past few months....1st replaced the thermostat, it was good for a day then overheated, took it to a shop got new head gasket on and resurfaced the head, 3 weeks later overheated again and i barely drove it anywhere...then replaced water pump...and recently replaced radiator
so in all
-replaced headgasket, resurfaced head, replaced thermostat, water pump, timing belt, radiator...

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY its still overheating I think this motor is a dead beat one its got 136k miles but my last em2 had 220k and was good till it died...

so my options are get a loan for 8k and get a 06-07 civic 4dr (maybe salvage idk) or call up hmotorsonline and order a JDM D17A with auto tranny and have a almost new car for 1/4 of the price of a used 8th gen.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NO IDEA what 2 do ..overheating again x4 new motor?

Are you still losing coolant?
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by boxinggsxr
order a JDM D17A with auto tranny and have a almost new car for 1/4 of the price of a used 8th gen.
doing that still might not solve your problem....maybe you have a blockage somewhere in your cooling system or hoses, the coolant is not circulating properly
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick
Are you still losing coolant?
nope yesturday laid down some white painting sheets under it and no leaks left it on for 30 min nothing but today it started heating up in the mourning

Originally Posted by mikey1
doing that still might not solve your problem....maybe you have a blockage somewhere in your cooling system or hoses, the coolant is not circulating properly
thats what i was afriad of but i replaced the radiator, and all the hoses i didnt want to take a chance with the old hoses where else could there be a blockage?
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Have you opened the radiator cap and watched to make sure coolant is flowing once the thermostat opens?
That will at least eliminate the thermostat and water pump not working correctly.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

what kind of thermostat did you put in?

these cars dont seem to like aftermarket thermostats, did you use an OEM honda thermostat?....if so, was it installed correctly?.....there is a weep hole that needs to be aligned in the proper position
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
Have you opened the radiator cap and watched to make sure coolant is flowing once the thermostat opens?
That will at least eliminate the thermostat and water pump not working correctly.
ya and it flows right im hoping maybe theres air gaps in the system so im going to bleed it again tomorrow mourning if not in a cpl hours

Originally Posted by mikey1
what kind of thermostat did you put in?

these cars dont seem to like aftermarket thermostats, did you use an OEM honda thermostat?....if so, was it installed correctly?.....there is a weep hole that needs to be aligned in the proper position
i used a autozone one so it wouldnt surprise me...the only thing that bugs me is the heater takes a while to turn hott but the ac is more than ice cold so idk if the head gasket actually got replaced or not i saw it taken off so im hoping the mechanic didnt jip me off ohhh that would really upset me lol

ok so im wondering what else can i do to make it not overheat or check it for life ...i dont wana lose out on more $ than i have with this car getn rid of it so id like to fix it or if its cheaper just buy a jdm motor but havent read to much on the d17A yet
Old 01-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3 weeks later overheated again and i
Did it ever get checked for head gasket leaks after this second overheat? Could have trashed it all over again.
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did it ever get checked for head gasket leaks after this second overheat? Could have trashed it all over again.
no how can i check? since last one it hasnt been driven more than 70miles
Old 01-31-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxinggsxr
no how can i check?
The obvious answer would be "the same way it was diagnosed the last time".... But I have a feeling it was more shotgunned than diagnosed.

Anyway....see what the problem is NOW, and then you need to figure out the ROOT CAUSE of the original and new problems.

The first overheat and head gasket might have been expected, since it is a fairly common failure. Not the second. No way. Figure out why it overheated this time.

Example:

Any overheat event can possibly warp the cylinder head and blow the head gasket...... no matter if the overheat was originally caused by a stuck thermostat, a coolant leak, or radiator fans quit working. Or any other thing that would cause an overheat.
The outcome is the same, expensive engine damage.

Different root causes, but same/similar end result.

Is this making sense?

You might be able to fix the head and head gasket again, but if you don't fix the original cause, you are doomed to overheat again.
Old 01-31-2013

Search here for overheat, head gasket, no heat, stuff like that.
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Is your heat hot?
Old 02-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Obviously there is some background story I'm not up on, but I would recommend a good diagnosing instead of the 1000's already spent.... Sure your fans are working? Get that sucker on a jack in the front if you have to jack the front up a foot or so to get the radiator cap to be the highest point and make doubly sure all the air is out and a big bubble isn't "caught". Just for knowledge sake if you are having a hard time getting it to stay bled there are two likely causes. A blockage somewhere or combustion gases adding air. Check your degas bottle and make sure the system isn't able to suck air through the overflow. May check that new radiator's cap too.
Old 02-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

clogs inside the engine?