Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

noise from driver's side under accelaration

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mgslayer is an unknown quantity at this point
noise from driver's side under accelaration

I have a 2002 4 door 5-speed Civic EX with approx 120K. I had a noise from the drivers side from that you would hear/feel when accelerating, almost like a popping. Since the noise started I have replaced the following: driver's side engine mount, front engine mount (ripped to shreds) both complete front strut assembelies (springs, struts, etc). lower control arms because rubbers were shot, outer tie rod ends, front and rear sway bar control end links and bushings, and had the front end aligned. Car is alot tighter but the noise is still there. Checked the lower ball joints by jacking up and moving the tire and trying to pry up with a pry bar and no noticible movement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: noise from driver's side under accelaration

you seem to be ignoring the engine itself, maybe its something in the timing area causing it, tensioner or water pump? it could also be your A/C compressor
Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mgslayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: noise from driver's side under accelaration

Since the noise started I did also repalce the timing belt, tensioner, etc due to a leaking seal oil seal that the dealer did not do or even recommend. Even though it only had about 30K on them since the dealer did it, figured while I was in there might as well replace the tensioner, (which the dealer did not do). Only thing I didn't do was the water pump. After replaceing everything the noise was still there.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I've been playing with cars for almost 30 yrs and I'm stumped. I know it's going to be something simple.