Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threeoten is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS Light

The SRS light came on out of nowhere on my 03 SI hatchback. Is this something I should look into? The dealership said it would be $50 to $100 just to diagnose the problem, then cost more to actually take care of it. Any advice?
Old 07-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: SRS Light

get a scanner that reads honda SRS codes. scanner can be useful later. (they will cost 100 at the least, though)
if not, dealer. autozone or similar shops scanners cannot read honda SRS codes.
Old 07-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

start reading from post #39:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...i-codes-2.html
Old 07-22-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Its 99% the driver side seatbelt buckle. Replace the buckle or take it apart and replace the chip inside and itll fix it. I know a person who did this for a few civic owners and said it was easy. You can get the buckle from a junkyard but no gaurentee that one doesnt have the SRS problem too so you take a chance.
Old 07-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
the chip inside and itll fix it
Dude, what exactly do YOU think this "chip" consists of?

OP: Half of the dealers in the US will cover the buckle under the lifetime seat belt warranty.
The other half won't.

Be aware that there are far more possible codes and problems than just a buckle.
A low battery can cause codes in the SRS system. Erase them and see what comes back. Then chase the codes that return.

Use the standard SCS jumper method for reading flash codes from the lights.
Jumper terminal #9 SCS (brn) to terminal #4 GROUND (blk) in the OBD2 DLC.
EDIT: Someone should double check me on this before OP burns up some expensive control unit.

Last edited by ezone; 07-22-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: I like to edit!
Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
A low battery can cause codes in the SRS system. Erase them and see what comes back. Then chase the codes that return.
How do I erase them?

Originally Posted by ezone
Use the standard SCS jumper method for reading flash codes from the lights.
Jumper terminal #9 SCS (brn) to terminal #4 GROUND (blk) in the OBD2 DLC.
EDIT: Someone should double check me on this before OP burns up some expensive control unit.
Sorry, this is all new to me and I have no idea what this means.
Old 07-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by threeoten
How do I erase them?

Sorry, this is all new to me and I have no idea what this means.
Um, you may need to invest in a good service manual that covers this area (SRS), along with some tools, or just pay at the dealer for their services.

Search this site for more info on what you want to know.
Google and youtube have most of it covered too.
Search for
read SRS code Civic
and
erase SRS code Civic
Old 07-25-2012
Registered!!

I ended up having the dealership diagnose it and they said that it's BOTH front seat belt buckles. They want $545 to do it!
Old 07-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

look for another dealer that might try to get it for free
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

So why would some charge $500+ and others be free?
Old 07-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

people is people.
don't ask me, some would do it because it's safety, others would not care.

some search for teh answers and don't ask what is available already.
some don't bother to search and wants to ask because they think they are special and demands an answer. they don't care either.
if you searched the forum, you would not have had to ask.

so why do you want to ask for others to care? :P

PS: yer not the first, so don't take it personally - we get dozens everyday that should search first before creating threads.
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

I guess I think I'm just as 'special' as the guy who thinks they're so 'special' that they think they shall never have to be inconvenienced as badly as seeing a thread similar to one or two they might have seen before...

I've been a member of several forums in my day and they all seem to have that group of regulars who get all whiny when someone comes and asks a question.. you know.. what this section of the forums was made for.