Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine wont rev past 4000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BeefCakeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine wont rev past 4000rpm

Hi guys, new member here! I was referred here by a few friends from school. Im not the best with cars, so i came to the experts here.

2002 civic si w/ vtec motor

Heres whats going on.

MIL came on few weeks ago. Since then, in every gear, everytime I rev up the engine near 4000rpm the engine starts to shake , almost like a governer kicks in.

My friend let me use his code scanner and it gave me a code P1265.
I looked it up on this site and I cannot find it.

Can you guys help me?
Old 02-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine wont rev past 4000rpm

First, make sure the oil is full.

US or Canada?

Try a different scanner. That code number doesn't exist in my data.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Canada.

My buddy used his laptop with an ODBII cable.

- code said P1265. can tell you more than that.
Old 02-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure it has oil in it

Got any parts stores that read codes up there? Try that.

I'm thinking it will be P1259 for VTEC. Make sure it has oil in it first for that code.

I only have access to US car stuff and P1265 does not exist for that car here.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

I will check the oil and tomorrow head to a parts store to get the code checked.

Thanks again for the info, I will update as soon as possible.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GRNEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you hear a clicking noise? the clicking can be mild but it could be your timing is off tremendously, or you have a broken pistol or rod.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. My Laptop crapped out.
Ayhoo, I went and got the code checked by a parts store.

Code is P1259. Immobilizer to PCM ? The gentlemen at the parts place told me it might be something to do with my V-tec system or a sensor. Any ideas where to start or should I take it to the shop? Thanks again guys
The following users liked this post:
Boohk97 (07-15-2021)
Old 02-20-2012

Gee, I wonder if someone already guessed this to be the code. Hmmm.

Yes I did. Click here to re-read it.

I wonder what I said to check first......Hmmmm.

Did the code get cleared, and how long or what causes the code to return?

You could have a switch hanging up, clogged screen, low oil pressure, or something along those lines. Needs real diagnosis if you can't figure it out.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

Thanks ezone. I didnt see your post till today; I had no computer until this morning. Living way out in the sticks makes it hard to get access to computer repairs. Yes, I cleared the code at the parts place. Light came back on within 10 minutes of driving. Changed the oil and cleared the code, then it came back again 5 minutes later. I will check the oil pressure tomorrow at a friends shop. As for the screen, I will have to wait until I have a bit more cash. (Tapped out from school atm) Any ideas of which sensor I should check out?
Old 02-20-2012

Originally Posted by BeefCakeMan
Any ideas of which sensor I should check out?
I'd recommend getting some service info that covers the system, and the particular code you have.

You need to know how it works when everything is right, in order to figure out what is wrong now.

You need to know what the different possibilities are that can cause the code.

It could be something you can throw parts at, or it could be internal engine problems.

I could tell you about the 04 TSX that I did earlier this week....Some hack stuffed a timing chain in, and it all went to hell immediately after that. Came to me with both cams out of time, and a huge wad of RTV stuck in the screen for the VTEC solenoid.
Caused all kinds of codes and headaches, and took longer to find and correct it than it should have taken to put the chain in properly the first time. And it may never be "right", because I have no idea what all else got hacked, nor where any extra RTV went besides the VTEC valve.
The oil pan has a rattle inside when you tap on it with your hand too. That ain't right.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

I just downloaded the entire service manual (1131 pages LOL!) and its got a detailed description of how to diagnose the Vtec system for code P1259. Ive got access to the right tools, but is there any specialty tools that I need other than what I got? (DVM, handtools, etc)
Old 02-20-2012

Probably not, unless you want to attempt to actuate the rocker arm pins without the engine running. I have never really needed to do that.

Most of my diags use either the HDS scanner to do self-testing, or a pile of jumper wires and test lights to isolate the vtec stuff and work the system manually.

I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your car, but this is an example of multiple problems:
The TSX, after correcting the timing chain installation, would set a code for VTEC oil pressure switch stuck off when it should have been on.

Intermittent. Sometimes it worked right, sometimes it would set a code.

The VTEC valve screen was full, causing the oil pressure to drop, and also causing the valve to hang up....the valvetrain would clatter really loudly as the pins engaged and released far too slowly. It was trying to engage at idle too, since the valve was sticking. A bunch of cleaning got it working for the moment. No real parts got replaced.
Old 04-07-2012
Registered!!

hey guys. Sorry for the VERY late reply. Working in the arctic circle LOL!

I worked on it few days ago and the problem has not gone away.

So far I replaced the Vtec oil pressure switch as it was slightly out of range for ohms (Just in case). Oil has always been up at the right level, Ive cleaned out the vtec module and the little button moves just fine, the screen is nice and clean as well.

I went and downloaded a manual and have tried some of the steps and the CEL / "Limp mode" wont go away unless i clear the codes and it returns about 20 min later. Also, the light stays on, but after work I can drive it no problem with no limp mode, then 10-15 min later, comes back on.

Im not a mechanic, but i do want to learn how to fix these problems myself. Anymore advice guys? I dont want to take this car to the stealership.

PS. I did see something on one of the other posts about a relay that might need to be replaced under the glovebox? maybe?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...lfunction.html
Old 04-07-2012

This pretty much looks like the test procedures out of a shop manual:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post2611612

I might be inclined to try to understand what exactly happens when the VTEC system is activated and working correctly, and what the PCM can see, since it can't see all parts of the VTEC.
And understand what the PCM saw that it didn't like.

An oil pressure test (mechanical gauge) might be in order, and it would have to be checked with a fully warmed up engine so the oil is as hot and thin as it can get. The VTEC system uses oil pressure as its hydraulic fluid, and it must be "up to snuff". Leave the gauge hooked up so you can drive around with it and watch.

Then monitor the VTEC valve and pressure switch using something you can watch while driving (in my case it is usually test lights), to see what part may or may not have worked....

Then, when it does fail, I might try to force it to operate manually to see if I can make it happen again....

Every situation is different, and methods are adapted as needed.
The most important thing is the understanding of
A) how it works, including what the solenoid valve and pressure switch does, and
B) what the computer did or didn't see in order to set a code, and under what conditions this happened.

If you don't understand how it works in the first place, how on Earth can you figure out what part is wrong?

HTH
Old 06-15-2013
Registered!!

landsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow I have the same problem. I just can't get past 3500. I also stall from time to time. Is there a high rev sensor? Does the ECU just know? I'm going to my mechanic this week. I hope he can figure it out.
Old 08-05-2020

Andrew Kocot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by landsurfer
Wow I have the same problem. I just can't get past 3500. I also stall from time to time. Is there a high rev sensor? Does the ECU just know? I'm going to my mechanic this week. I hope he can figure it out.
so I bought a 2000 Civic, with a D16 Y8 VTEC motor couple weeks after I bought it the head crap out on me. I had a nice y7 head in my garage so i put it on my y8 block. Yes I no pretty dumb to do but I did it cuz I had to have my car running. When I fired it up and drove it my rev limiter with hid at 5000 RPMs it's shot a VTech which I knew it was going to do because I don't have a Vtec solenoid so I bypassed the VTech and made it think it was engaging it let me tack it out again. Never tried it with the VTEC head and solenoid attached but I'm assuming you can unplug it from the Vtec solenoid and switch bypass it and make your car think it's hitting VTEC. without actually using the system. And when you bypass it and take it for a drive you won't have VTEC but your car will think it is running VTEC flawlessly and if your able to rev it out again you know for sure if the VTEC System. It's easy to do and you can just plug it right back in when you're done. If you have any questions pm me

Last edited by Colin42; 08-05-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed phone number
Old 08-05-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Removed phone number as per forum rules
Old 09-27-2020
Registered!!

csjanos is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it will be the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the car
Old 09-28-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by csjanos
I think it will be the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the car
That only checks if the cat is working, doesn't affect the engine at all
Old 07-16-2022
Registered!!

Kanjoway14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BeefCakeMan
Hi guys, new member here! I was referred here by a few friends from school. Im not the best with cars, so i came to the experts here.

2002 civic si w/ vtec motor

Heres whats going on.

MIL came on few weeks ago. Since then, in every gear, everytime I rev up the engine near 4000rpm the engine starts to shake , almost like a governer kicks in.

My friend let me use his code scanner and it gave me a code P1265.
I looked it up on this site and I cannot find it.

Can you guys help me?
Hey man I had an issue with getting P1259 saying the VTec solenoid was going bad. Even after changing the oil it still popped up after being cleared after being driven for 50-100 miles.

What I did was instead of putting 5w-30 is I went back to 5w-20 and the Mobile 1 Blend. It worked like a charm and after clearing the code it hasn't popped up since (300+ Miles in the change). I would recommend doing that but changing the oil every 3000 Miles if you know your VTec solenoid works.
Old 07-16-2022
Click Here

Received 1,153 Likes on 900 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kanjoway14
Hey man I had an issue with getting P1259 saying the VTec solenoid was going bad. Even after changing the oil it still popped up after being cleared after being driven for 50-100 miles.

What I did was instead of putting 5w-30 is I went back to 5w-20 and the Mobile 1 Blend. It worked like a charm and after clearing the code it hasn't popped up since (300+ Miles in the change). I would recommend doing that but changing the oil every 3000 Miles if you know your VTec solenoid works.
Glad you got it figured out, but you shouldn't have been running 5W30 in the first place. The code concerns oil pressure so that would most likely be the problem.
Kanjoway14 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022
Registered!!

Kanjoway14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FRSam
Glad you got it figured out, but you shouldn't have been running 5W30 in the first place. The code concerns oil pressure so that would most likely be the problem.
Brought my 03 Civic coupe D17 5 Speed 3 weeks ago and one day it threw the light on and I looked in the back and the oil the previous owner had left was 5W-30 so I guessed that is what's in the car.

Yeah that's why I said "screw it man it's prob 5W-30 in there and it's too thick to flow through properly when the tvec door opens. Imma go change oil but put 5W-20."

​​​​​
Old 07-16-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the oil passages for VTEC are tiny.
I did the same mistake. Put 5-30 for old engines and instantly the VTEC code popped up.

Took a week to put my thoughts together to decide (happened after I changed oil weight) and changed back to 5-20 and issue went away
Kanjoway14 (07-16-2022)
Old 10-20-2023
Registered!!

MarMar1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys try this maybe, open the fuse box push down on all the fuses and relays to make sure they're in I tampered, and there was like 3 loose coming out as if.. Idk maybe from vibration. But yep I'm pretty sure I got vtec back after todays drive