Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2oo3EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission issues

I am just wondering does those happen to anyone else, when I try to engage 1st and reverse from a stop it sometimes doesn't fully engage and grinds even though I pushed it as hard as usual, it feels like there is a spot right before the gear grabs. One of you must of heard or had this problem. Sorry if there's already a thread the search never seems to work
Old 01-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission issues

See if you can get any value out of what I posted in this thread. Look over the whole thread.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4580274
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh ya, you're not alone. I have the same situation in 1st and reverse, as thought there is a spot where it stops in the middle. Not sure what's causing it. I'm currently having problems with my hydraulics, so I'll let you know when I change it if that was the problem. I find that when you have that problem, take it out of first or reverse, slide it into another gear, and try it again. Usually it clears up. For example: if it's having a hard time getting into first, pull it out of first, slide it into second, then try putting it into first again. Keep in mind that unless you are at a complete stop, first gear does not synchronize so it will be hard to put into first if the car is still rolling.
Old 01-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by em2maxamillian
, first gear does not synchronize so it will be hard to put into first if the car is still rolling.
First gear started life with a synchronizer.

If someone repeatedly tried to shove the stick into first gear while moving, it could be worn out or broken.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first gear and reverse gear do the same thing and sync is going in third also I believe. It grinds at high rpm shifts, I try to skip it as much as possible. Haven't done a tranny flush ever since I bought the car at 115K Km...I have 144K Km now.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

MandM is an unknown quantity at this point

I mostly have problems with reverse. I usually just pull the stick into reverse while slowly letting off the clutch, somewhere around half way it usually kicks into gear then I either keep trucking or push the clutch all the way back in and start over.

However I have noticed it popping out of second gear often as of late. Anyone having issues with this? Or do you think it might have something to do with sliding my front right rim into that telephone pole back in '03?
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

2oo3EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by em2maxamillian
Oh ya, you're not alone. I have the same situation in 1st and reverse, as thought there is a spot where it stops in the middle. Not sure what's causing it. I'm currently having problems with my hydraulics, so I'll let you know when I change it if that was the problem. I find that when you have that problem, take it out of first or reverse, slide it into another gear, and try it again. Usually it clears up. For example: if it's having a hard time getting into first, pull it out of first, slide it into second, then try putting it into first again. Keep in mind that unless you are at a complete stop, first gear does not synchronize so it will be hard to put into first if the car is still rolling.
Yeah sounds like we have identical problems so let me know how it goes
Old 01-08-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

well, I replaced the salve cylinder and did an overhaul on my hydraulics, but to no avail in terms of curing the issue you're talking about here. This is a problem I only occasionally have, and rowing through the gears a bit (like I explained in the earlier post) seems to do the trick. Unless your gears are grinding, you absolutely cannot put it into reverse or 1st, or such happends frequently, I would say no biggie since I've noticed that many Honda's tend to do this.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

I've had trouble getting my '05 into reverse since it was new, also had a friend that has the same problem, it's just the way these transmissions are. If it doesn't go into reverse I put it in first then try reverse again, sometimes it takes a few tries but it always goes in.

If it doesn't want to go in don't force it.