Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Passenger side Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger side Power window problem

Hello,

I have a 2001 civic sedan. Over the past few weeks, I have noticed problems with my passenger side power window. Now it doesn't work at all. Here is what I noticed:

1) a few weeks ago I could put the passenger window down using the driver side button. But sometimes, it didn't work when I try to put the passenger window back up using the driver side button (it takes a few tries).

2) around the same time as point 1), if I tried to open OR close the passenger window using the passenger side button, I had no problems.

3) About 2 days ago, I started my car and I started to smell smoke. Then I could see smoke coming out from driver side door where the power window switches are. I quickly shut off my car and diconnected the main power window harness on the driver side door. I started my car and there was no more smoke. I reconnected the power window harness and now the passenger side window will not go down at all (doesn't matter if I use the driver or passenger side button). All the other three windows work fine.

Does anyone know what the problem can be? I am thinking the driver side power window circuit board needs to be replace (the one with the 4 window buttons) and NOT the whole power window assembly on the passenger side. Does this sound reasonable? What is this part called? Does anyone know if I can get it cheaper from somewhere or do I have to go to a dealer?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I would start and check the number 22 (20A) fuse in the under dash fuse box as that is the fuse for the passenger side power window motor.

it doesnt sound as the master window switch is the issue. This because you cant open the passenger window with either driver or passenger switch.

whenever you hit the passenger window switch on the drivers master switch, the power goes from the master switch, through the passenger side switch to the passenger window motor. and there is a fuse that controls power to that seperate switch on the master switch. If you were to hit the passenger window motor switch on the passenger door, power goes straight from that switch to the motor. thats why I also see the master switch not being the issue.

Start there and let us know the result.

Also pull the harness from the master switch and look for an issue with the wiring or on the switch.

Last edited by streetglower; 07-26-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

utahbmxer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this problem, except the smoke came from Master Switch. Took it apart and the Passenger switch on the Master Board is fried! Do you think its the motor in the passenger window or this master switch/board? Either way I' probably going to need a new circuit board. I'll have to wait til I can get home to look at my Manual on CD and Trouble shoot the thing. It tells you to connect certain wires on the harnesses/terminals to see whats defective.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well from the original description of the thread starters problem, the master switch doesnt seem to be the issue. I again base that on that neither driver or passenger switches operate the passenger window.

Now for your problem utahbmxer, if the switch is fired all you can do is replace the master switch. you cant by any internals seperately. the master switch comes as it looks in the car. Its a possibility that there was a short circuit inside of the master switch. But can you operate the passenger window with the passenger side window switch?
Old 07-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pizzapizza is an unknown quantity at this point
seems to be a common problem, especially with smokers who drive with their windows rolled down.

basically the water gets into the switch and shorts it out, blowing out the fuse at the same time. replace the master switch and the blown fuse.
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

hello,

After further investigation of the fuses (#22 for front passenger side power window and #6 - power window relay?), I found that they were both ok.

Now remember, before both driver side and passenger side switches (that control the front passenger window) stopped working, I saw quite a bit of smoke coming out from the driver side master switch - the board with the 4 window buttons (it was coming out through the cracks of the door handle where the master switch was). Before this point, i noticed the driver side switch was malfunctioning (i.e. it would be able to control the passenger side window with no problems only sometimes, however the passenger side switch worked flawlessly).

So should I be replacing the master side circuit board? I remember when I was installing my audio, when the harness to the main master board on the driver side was disconnected, I could not lower any of the windows using the switch on any of the other doors. Maybe something similar is happening here? It looks like only the front passenger side window part of the circuit is fried on the master board...so maybe it is like the harness is disconnected for the front passenger window only? Because all my other windows work no problem. Any ideas on what I should do? What should I be replacing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

cannonfolder is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it really a circuit board or only wires that go directly to the button? If it is only wires you could solder a new wire to bypass the shorted one. If it's a circuit board try to follow the path where it is shorted and break the line using a razor blade, then solder a piece of wire to bypass it. Learning how to solder saves a lot of money rather that buying new boards.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

ok, you cant replace any circuit board. if there is an issue with the master switch, you replace the master switch. I dont know how the internals are of the switch, I am assuming its like an ECU, just not as complicated or complex, but its not something sold seperately.

Now of cource none of the windows will work with any button with the master switch disconnected because the main ground for the motors comes off the master switch.

Now I was looking at the wiring diagram wrong earlier. when you use the button on passenger side to control the passenger window, power from the motor will go back through the passenger switch up through the driver side master switch and out to ground. this is the same for all other windows. I wasnt seeing the ground from the master switch the first time. so I take my statement back I said earlier, there could be an issue with the master switch. And yes it would have to be in the passenger switch on the master switch. more then likely the contact from the passenger switch on the master switch isnt working. thus power cant go from the switch to the passenger motor and power cant get from the motor to the switch and back to ground. If your lost trying to understand, its ok. I am looking at the wiring diagram.

I would go ahead and replace the master switch and then try it.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

anyone know where I can get a replacement master switch? Is the honda dealer the only place?
Old 07-31-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
There was another member on here who had similar problems with the master switch, (smoked, looked burnt or similar) The last I heard he was going to unsolder the defective switch and replace only the bad switch. (single switches are about $11.00 plus shipping)

Never heard the results though.

I have had good luck with www.cheapesthondaparts.com
Old 08-01-2006
Registered!!

If you can just replce the switch itself inside the mster switch, it would save you money but check out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

but I dont think is possible. I havent ever seen signle switches lik that sold. just the single switch if the door has a single switch.
Old 01-20-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
bump
anyone know what part number the master switch on a 2001 honda civic 4 door is?
ive been searing on hondaautomotiveparts.com and i cant find it!
Old 01-21-2007

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Switch, Driver Master

35750-S5A-A01ZA = Black
35750-S5A-A01ZB = Taupe
Old 01-21-2007
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
thank you craigw.
do you happen what section that part was in?
i also need to get the plastic covering that covers the bottom of that whole housing.
Old 01-21-2007

Not sure which cover, I will try this link ---> Genuine Honda Replacements Parts

It has OEM part #s as well.
Old 01-23-2007
Premium Member

great thanks again!
Old 02-04-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
danget... the same thing is happening to me....just yesterday i rolled my window down with my drivers side swith. THen after driving a few, i tried to roll it back up and it just didnt want to work at all. I checked fuse #22, but i also need to chech #6???? like my window is still good, its just the passenger side. Power locks work, mirrors works. everything electrical with the door works cept the window. arg..
Old 02-05-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
i have a similar problem. only it id my drivers window. when its cold it wont roll up all the way. and then if you try to roll it down and roll it up again it wont roll down for a minute. then it will roll up but not all the way. when tis warm it will roll up, just very slowly. do you thin it is the window motor going out?
Old 09-15-2007
Registered!!

jfman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Passenger side Power window problem

How did you guyz find out which one (master or pass side) had gone out ? My front passenger side window is out.
Old 09-16-2007
Registered!!

jfman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well not much help from you guyz but I figured it out today. I just swapped the switch with on from another door and it wasnt working so I was suspectiing the driver side Master switch.

I removed it and it looks like this....

Last edited by jfman; 09-16-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

Ashock is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread, but having similar problem so bump!

JFMan, if you're still on the boards, did you ever solve your problem? Was the master switch to blame and replacing the master switch allowed you to operate the passenger side window again?
Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

instalher is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Passenger side Power window problem

the problem is a very common problem to alot of hondas and acuras.. not just our cars.. hondas wiring from the master switch to the pass motor is not big enough for the current that the window needs to go up. also if they are going to use that small a gauge wire the motor should be a little larger to accomodate this issue.. a quick fix is to run new wire 14awg from the driver switch to the pass side. this will allow the current to flow much less restricted.. but iam assuming that after 9 yrs that poor power window motor is now shot! just rewire and replace and you will have no more issues...
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

kenpr is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue. I was getting power to regulator when I use passenger side switch, but not driver side. I first ran wire from battery to regulator to test the regulator. The regulator did not work, so I replaced it but window still did not work. I replaced driver side switch and now it works fine now! Both were bad. Thanks for the advice everyone. This forum is great.