Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bad engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
webster426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad engine mount

I noticed this today and was wondering how bad I really need to replace it. The engine runs great and it does not vibrate badly or anything....

Figures I would ask incase this poses some hidden threat the could potentially damage something down the road....thanks!

The bad part I am referring to is the completely seperated rubber bumper as depicted in the picture below:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Bad engine mount

Put some wooden blocks under the engine to support it, remove the three bolts holding it in place, fill the voids in the bushing with PL premium construction adhesive ($5 at a hardware store), let is sit for a day, re-install, fixed and you have a mount that will not break in the future.

That may sound a bit strange, but it works, if you read the side of the tube it even has the same hardness rating as OEM rubber (60an).

I wouldn't say the broken mount is going to destroy the engine, but the slight rocking back and forth can't be good, since it rocks the oil around in the pan and generally abuses the engine a bit.
Old 12-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
webster426 is an unknown quantity at this point

you are my hero....thank you sir! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Happy I could help, Merry Christmas to you as well.

This is what it will look like when it's finished (not my pic). It will be a bit stiffer than stock, because you're transitioning to a solid mount, but if you find that bothersome drill a holes evenly placed in the new bushing material and it will feel normal again.

I think the torque spec for the bolts going into the block is 46ft/lbs..

Name:  17150ac9.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  60.1 KB

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-23-2011 at 08:43 PM.