Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Question about timming belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Civic will become famous soon enough
Question Question about timming belt tensioner?

This is what I did and was looking for some feedback...

-Align holes in tension pulley
-Inserted a pin into the holes in the base
-Installed the timing belt
-Loosen the mounting bolt allowing tension to the belt
-Check timing marks after 2 revolutions
-Torque tensioner to proper specifications 33 ft-lbs

Now here's my question after doing this procedure. When you check for belt deflection should the tensioner still move a little bit? I thought the spring is just there as a helper to pull pulley tension. And when you torque the bolt down it locks the bearing in place.

I am starting to wounder if this was the cause of the engine failure. Or maybe I am wrong. And that is how it works and 'self adjusts'?

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Arrow Re: Question about timming belt tensioner?

Just to let you all know....

Can you believe I've been waiting for days for a new auto-tensioner. There not cheep and wanted to be on the safe side of things since I spent so much $$. And it wasn't ordered by my Honda dealer

Now have to wait till mid next week to get the part. That is why I went ahead to see if the old one would work fine. Most of my friends say they fail because of bad bearings. This one rolls real smooth.

I'm stuck right now in the garage. Hope to get some info from you guys. Or will just have to wait for the new part. And if it works the same as the old one. Well It will be a huge disappointment. Like some people say you can change a part and it could fail too. Nothing is a guarantee.

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-26-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Question about timming belt tensioner?

wish i could answer taht... mine is due soon, so have not done that...
PM Tbohar? he did it once.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Arrow Re: Question about timming belt tensioner?

K thanks for the tip I will PM him right away.

By the way my holidays did not work out I wanted them to because of this engine mishap. I noticed your from Quebec we had planned to go to Montreal for a few days.

Hopefully we can in the near future. I'm about a 6 hour drive to Ottawa and guess it would be another 1 hour and a half to Montreal? Has been over 10 years since I visited.

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-26-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That's the procedure I did.. Never bothered to check the tension left on the belt though, so I can't really answer that part of the question. It was working fine until my TDC sensor bolt decided it was a good idea to fall out, thus eating my timing belt..
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

I was reading different post and I cam across your photos of the messed up sensor and timing belt.

Made me think of the destroyed bottom half of my belt cover! Belt was fine but my cover you could put your fingers in the groove it made by rubbing on the crank pulley.

Bought a new half cover for $50 bucks auto wreckers could not find me one. And get this needed to buy new bolts for $4.76 each x4 crazy prices!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll write here what I wrote in the PM i sent you.

The tensioner does move after its installed, but you have to make sure the movement is proper. In other words it should still feel tight, and not wiggle. You have to remember the tensioner is designed to move with the belt and also to increase/decrease tension on the belt by moving slightly (what happens is as the belt ages it stretches a bit so the spring on the tensioner draws the tensioner itself tighter against the belt). This is why you can release the tensioner to remove the belt without removing the tensioner itself.

I wasnt really sure on how to word that but hopefully you understand.
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Northern Civic
K thanks for the tip I will PM him right away.

By the way my holidays did not work out I wanted them to because of this engine mishap. I noticed your from Quebec we had planned to go to Montreal for a few days.

Hopefully we can in the near future. I'm about a 6 hour drive to Ottawa and guess it would be another 1 hour and a half to Montreal? Has been over 10 years since I visited.
uops.

i should be moving back to US in the next month or so, when i plan to change the TB and several other almost due maintenance - no garage to work in in the Apartment here...
glad you got your response!
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

tbohar awesome reply on my issue Was hoping to hear from someone on this site about how this pulley is designed to work. Sure is hard to reserch on your own for an answer.

I sure wish my Honda dealership would tell me more about the past repairs. Like what other than timing belt was replaced when it was in by the previous owner. Car does not have allot of miles since they did the work.

Hate replacing parts for nothing when there fine. I now know I have a tensioner that works properly. Think the hardest thing for me is that had the valves bend by the timing belt slipping going out of time and wish there were more clues to why? My belt when taken off was in perfect shape. People tell me its just a mechanical failure and move on. I just don't want it happening again.

I've saved allot of $$ doing it myself no way I'm going to pay $90 bucks an hour. So I did order a new tensioner from Honda it's just days late in arriving. And once I slam that engine hood shut at least I will no I replaced all the critical parts and it's dun rite.

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-27-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

sdaidoji Wow your moving to the U.S!! Good for you and good luck in your move. Sounds real exiting to be starting a new life somewhere else. I wish could do the same too move to another city and start a new career job. But who knows time will tell life is full of surprises.
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

actually, i am brazilian, have worked in japan for 1 year, worked in br for 3, worked in us for 7 years, now in an 1 year and some assignment in canada and actually going back to us soon. a few assignment in mexico as well. and now actually i can actually understand the languages in any of these countries...
crazy stuff, all the different languages inside my head, now if someone asks me something i tend to answer in french since this is my latest acquired language... messy... don't try to pry inside my head, it's ugly

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Good thing you drive a Civic with all the traveling your doing ha! ha! Just kidding with you. Interesting places you have been.
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

ah, my old auto 01 gave me 44? 46 MPG in one of my 1200 miles trip?
the current 02 coupe manual was something around 40-42 MPG when i was driving to canada? another 1200 miles... and my stuff in the trunk as well...
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

We don't ever want to sell this car for the gas savings $$ This summer planning on getting another vehicle to replace my truck. Not sure yet but would like another Honda for the right price. Won't be brand new been there and it's not worth the money when a few years old will do fine. And you don't lose thousands driving off the lot.

My first car was a 1986 Honda Accord S 2door. Loved that little car it never let me down and when I had to sell it my brother got it. Think that car was the best I ever owned. No engine trouble, little maintenance to keep it happy. It went well over 400,000 klm's.

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

yup, they great until the TB time
then you have nightmares for a few months and then finally start getting happy with them again