Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Originally Posted by Wakko
Is there any reason why we DON'T want to replace every oil seal we can while we are in there?
Nope, no reason at all. Feel free to replace as many seals as you'd like.
Old 05-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wakko
Good thread, very informative. My GF's son's car we just got has the dreaded oil pump leak as well, but we were going to do the timing belt anyway, so it just adds to the fun. Is there any reason why we DON'T want to replace every oil seal we can while we are in there? Cam, crank, etc. I certainly don't want to do this job again a year from now because we accidentally cut a corner.
Absolutely IMO. Renew/reseal everything you touch if at all possible.

"There's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always plenty of time to do it over."
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm pretty sure i have the same problem with the oil pump ring , ugh
Old 11-11-2017
Registered!!

04 blue civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah mine has a small leak small leak not too bad. Therefore I’m going to wait until spring too cold out now.
Old 08-04-2018
Registered!!

Chachski90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone. So I'm having having the same oil leak problem due to the oil pump o ring. I have replaced all the seals and under the timing cover and oil pan gasket so I know for a fact it's coming from that o ring. My question is how does the oil pump come out? I've removed the 5 bolts holding it in. So do I just need to pry it off the block or is there something else that I'm missing? Crank pulley and seal are already out and oil pan in dropped.
Old 08-04-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chachski90
Hey everyone. So I'm having having the same oil leak problem due to the oil pump o ring. I have replaced all the seals and under the timing cover and oil pan gasket so I know for a fact it's coming from that o ring. My question is how does the oil pump come out? I've removed the 5 bolts holding it in. So do I just need to pry it off the block or is there something else that I'm missing? Crank pulley and seal are already out and oil pan in dropped.
Did you find the pics I posted from an oil pump reseal job?
Old 08-04-2018
Registered!!

I might have missed them. I'll check through the thread again.
Old 08-04-2018

Probably was a different thread. Here's two pics

Damn. Retry

Old 08-04-2018
Registered!!

Cool thank you. So it's basically the same process of removal and install as the oil pan?
Old 08-04-2018

If you mean a few bolts and some RTV sealant hold it to the block, yea. Remove all the bolts and it should pry free fairly easy.
Old 08-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

i have done it , wasnt to bad..
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

just for kicks I tried AT-205 to see if it would have any effect on my oil pump O ring leak. Holy crap it worked (at least for now). If you have this leak give it a try.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

As prone to clogged oil control rings as these engines are, I would highly suggest against any additives including high mileage oils...
Old 08-24-2021

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
As prone to clogged oil control rings as these engines are, I would highly suggest against any additives including high mileage oils...
I used to see the pump o ring issue progression timeline.... the rubber in the o ring slowly deteriorates over a period of time (miles) and the rate of oil leakage slooowly increases as it does

.from stain to wet area to occasional drip on the garage floor to maybe a slow drip while running

(wildass guess) as
stained to moist, low concern: 120k and above
wet to drip ..150-200k or more

The original owner could've already had to buy too many major repairs (sometimes in rapid succession) like
gauge cluster
transmission
timing belt service followed immediately by the mysterious 'not our fault' loose alternator bolt induced PCM failure
head gasket job plus radiator
the ol' ignition lock and key and omfg another pcm fiasco.
Figuring out why 15 seconds after startup and try to drive away it falls on its face
Brake lines in the rust belt
plus bags of money wasted on unnecessary 'repairs' based on guesswork and/or incorrect diagnosis

and 2-6 airbag recalls

Now it drinks oil and this cost how much ? oh haaiiiillll no.

installing the $3 o ring in the oil pump is not cheap or easy.
The only way i can make that job sound cheaper is when the engine is already hurt.... by adding it to a major like a head gasket job or a re-ring job. And those ain't cheap.

By the time it leaks so fast it can't be ignored, some of the cars are so rough it already has one tire in the junkyard
Some cars are not worth fixing correctly, Some owners won't. Or can't.

At this point a can of leak-b-gone (smoke-b-gone, knock-b-gone, etc) is probably better than nothing.

Last edited by ezone; 08-24-2021 at 05:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ezone:
Colin42 (08-24-2021), D17VTECPOWER (02-08-2022)