Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Old 01-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Thanks for the reply. I haven't dug into it yet but from the descriptions I'm pretty sure its that o-ring. Here is a picture for future reference. This is from the driver side of the vehicle...the back of the engine.

Name:  DSCN0183.jpg
Views: 28193
Size:  136.7 KB
Old 01-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^ Grab a can of brake cleaner and spray it all off..... PRESTO!! Fixed! LOL

What does it have on it, 150,000 miles or more?
How much (how rapid) does it really leak?

Nobody ever wants to fix these after they hear the estimate (at work).
You can buy a LOT of oil for the cost of replacing the seals.
Old 01-22-2014
Registered!!

Berto is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I'm going to do the work myself. Already did the timing belt on it a few yrs ago. About $150 in parts once for OEM parts (belt, water pump, tensioner)

Its leaking pretty bad. Enough to drip on the driveway, granted she runs the remote car starter about 30 minutes every morning.

Only 120k miles on it.
Old 01-22-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago? It's time for a timing belt job again!
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

civicloco is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a 2005 civic lx.

I plan to perform an oil pump o-ring replacement and can't seem to find any pictures/illustrations of where to apply the sealant on the surface of the oil pump to block.

Thanks

Last edited by civicloco; 07-10-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2014

Originally Posted by civicloco
Its a 2005 civic lx.

I plan to perform an oil pump o-ring replacement and can't seem to find any pictures/illustrations of where to apply the sealant on the surface of the oil pump to block.

Thanks
Around the outer edges, the mating surfaces, exactly the same as where the factory put it. You'll see the old sealant when you get the pump off, you should scrape all the old sealant off both surfaces anyway.
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

civicloco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ezone, that's great. BTW, this forum has help me replace my head gasket and timing components without even owning a service manual. I'm to cheap. Have to go back in though, because it started to leak oil from the bottom timing cover. The seals
were fine when I first check. Replacing cam+crank seals and oil pump gasket, oil pan gasket. I know it's also leaking from the rear seals as well, but not as much and will tackle when I do the clutch ( probably soon, I have 220K miles).

Thanks Again
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, hopefully a stupid question: how do you support the engine to remove the oil pan? From the timing belt replacement DIY the engine is supported under the oil pan, now to continue to the oil pump you have to remove the oil pan. Do you reinstall the motor mount to remove the oil pan?
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobsagator
Do you reinstall the motor mount to remove the oil pan?
That's what I did. Might have been tedious but I wanted to be safe.
Old 08-08-2014

Let that sucker hang to the frame, it can't fall out. It will sit on the compressor pulley, no problem for me.
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Ezone and Matt, I am needing to do this to my car. It has been 40k since the timing belt, so replacing it anyway. Problem is I am nursing nights and still mechanicing by day, so no time ever... Not to mention getting ready to go back to two cars. Can I take the pump off without taking the pan off or not? I take the front covers of JDs off like that all the time and they are part of the pan too, but most of them don't have a pump in them. Like said, small leak but it is a leak none the less and I hate it. Disclaimer: I am sure the crank seal is not the culprit, I replaced it with the last belt....
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Disclaimer: I am sure the crank seal is not the culprit, I replaced it with the last belt....
never say never, unless you see it with your own eyes

i would still open it up and see what the real problem is before jumping to conclusions, that crank seal may just not be seated properly

did you use any form of lubrication when installing the new seal?
Old 08-18-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Can I take the pump off without taking the pan off or not?
No you can't take the pump off with out removing the pan. The oil pickup is attached to the oil pump and is inside the pan. No way around that I know.
Old 08-18-2014

Can I take the pump off without taking the pan off
No way around that I know.

Ever build a ship in a bottle?

I know a guy that built automatic transmissions pretty dang fast, I swore he was doing them like building a ship in a bottle.....Stuff all the discs down the dipstick tube, then pull the string and stand them all up straight.
Wasn't quality work though, dude was a hack.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1
did you use any form of lubrication when installing the new seal?
Of course used lube. Always Have pulled the plastic back though.

Originally Posted by Matt_75
No you can't take the pump off with out removing the pan. The oil pickup is attached to the oil pump and is inside the pan. No way around that I know.
Good to know hadn't even thought of it, duh me. Pump = pickup...

Originally Posted by ezone
Ever build a ship in a bottle?

I know a guy that built automatic transmissions pretty dang fast, I swore he was doing them like building a ship in a bottle.....Stuff all the discs down the dipstick tube, then pull the string and stand them all up straight.
Wasn't quality work though, dude was a hack.
LOL Hack? Surely not. Some people never learn you get what you pay for...
Old 02-20-2016
Registered!!

Mare Coppinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craddmd
Hey all,

My 2001 LX has an oil leak from somewhere on the bottom end of the engine. It runs down from somewhere on the timing belt side of the engine and underneath the oil pan. My mechanic (Honda dealer) who has worked on the car since it was new, thought it was the oil pan gasket - so he replaced that. Kept leaking... Then he redid the crankshaft seal. Still leaking... Then he took everything off from the timing belt change from nearly a year ago, cleaned every bit of oil off (in a vague hope that the leak was just some hidden residual oil getting hot and running off). Still leaking...

He now thinks that the seal ($1.40) between the oil pump and engine block is leaking. Of course, due to the invasive nature of the repair, labor is going to be over like $600. He said this is common in the Odysseys, but not in Civics. Taking it tomorrow for him to check it out some more.

Anyone else heard of a leak like this? Thanks...

HI- I've owned my Civic Since I drove it off the lot in 1993. The only problem I've had is this miserable oil leak. First they said it was the oil pan gasket. Changed the gasket, still had a leak. Took it to a recommended mechanic who changed the water pump - for an oil leak!?!?!? - and I still had the leak. The valve cover gasket has been changed twice, they found a seal inside the valve case that was cracked, so that was replaced. Still leaks in all the same places. I live in rural NM, and the nearest Honda dealer is 125 miles away. The local Toyota dealer wants to replace the whole engine, and all the gaskets. Not gonna happen - but after two years of chasing this, I'm pretty sure that the oil pump is putting out too much pressure and is forcing the oil out of every crack it can find. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mare Coppinger
HI- I've owned my Civic Since I drove it off the lot in 1993. The only problem I've had is this miserable oil leak. First they said it was the oil pan gasket. Changed the gasket, still had a leak. Took it to a recommended mechanic who changed the water pump - for an oil leak!?!?!? - and I still had the leak. The valve cover gasket has been changed twice, they found a seal inside the valve case that was cracked, so that was replaced. Still leaks in all the same places. I live in rural NM, and the nearest Honda dealer is 125 miles away. The local Toyota dealer wants to replace the whole engine, and all the gaskets. Not gonna happen - but after two years of chasing this, I'm pretty sure that the oil pump is putting out too much pressure and is forcing the oil out of every crack it can find. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
probably a cam and/or crank seal leaking into the timing belt area then dripping out the bottom
Old 07-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure my 2005 civic LX has this same leak coming out of the O-ring in the oil pump. Unfortunately I just did the timing belt 2k miles ago. So I think I'm gonna wait till next timing belt change to get it done. There is not one single video on You Tube about removing
the oil pump on a 7th generateion civic as of today, maybe by the time I do it there will be one.
Old 07-06-2016

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Mine is an 2002 EX. I don't think it'd be that much different on an 2005 LX. If you've already done the timing belt then it's a few more steps to get the oil pump off. It involves moving the exhaust pipe, taking the tranny cover off, all this to make sure you can get to all the oil pan bolts and remove oil pan. Then you can remove the oil pump, which is what the crank shaft goes through. Unless something changed, I think you have an oil pan gasket since it's steel, which should make the job a little easier. My EX has an aluminum oil pan and required all the gasket material to be scraped off. I resealed it with Honda ultra flange II. HTH
Old 07-06-2016

^Holy cow, I thought you fell off the face of the planet^
Old 07-06-2016

Originally Posted by ezone
^Holy cow, I thought you fell off the face of the planet^
Lol, I know. I'm so sporadic. I'm alive and doing well.
Old 09-29-2016
Registered!!

spddy101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2003 honda civic lx with a slow oil leak that I believe is originating around the top of the oil pan. It seems like there is a lot of experience in this thread with oil leaks in this area so I'd love to get some input.

The two attached images are taken a day apart. One image is after cleaning the area (and applying some powder) and the other is after one day of driving (commuting ~50 miles).

It seems the oil is pooling along the oil pan gasket but I also see some oil above it from the cleaned pic to the dirty pic.

Any ideas where the leak may be coming from?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160929_180239.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	89139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160928_201403.jpg
Views:	2863
Size:	867.2 KB
ID:	89140  
Old 09-30-2016

Definitely looks like the internal oil pump o-ring as pointed out earlier in this thread. JMO based on your photos and info.
Old 09-30-2016

^Agree. Next step might be to take the timing covers off and make sure nothing above that area is leaking oil.

Next question is, how big is the leak and is all that work worth it?
Or can you keep up with the rate of leakage and add oil when necessary?
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Alright, thanks for the feedback. It is leaking pretty slowly so I may try an "oil stop leak" additive because I've heard that they can reduce some pretty small leaks.
Have any experience with these?
https://smile.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-...il+leak+sealer
Old 10-01-2016
Registered!!

could be crank seal also,

just make sure that oil is not getting onto your timing belt, oil will destroy a timing belt very quickly,

on a side note, why is your crank pulley blue?

or is that just the picture making it look that way?
Old 10-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
could be crank seal also,

just make sure that oil is not getting onto your timing belt, oil will destroy a timing belt very quickly,

on a side note, why is your crank pulley blue?

or is that just the picture making it look that way?
Took off the timing belt cover and doesn't look like there's any oil getting on it. No idea why my crank pulley is blue (it really is), I did get this car at 120k miles so who knows what work has been actually been done on it.
Old 01-28-2017
Registered!!

Ohyaimember is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey first I just want to say that i have read through this thread and i am not intending to create any unnecessary work for anyone. That being said, i have a 2003 honda civic ex 1.7 v tech. I am almost positive that i am experiencing the same leak from the o-ring on the oil pump. A guy at autozone told me i had to replace the entire pump, and not just the o-ring, is this true? I understand that I will obviously need a new o-ring, as well as a timing belt just to be safe (my car has about 56,000 miles on it). Am i right that there is in fact to oil pan gasket for my car as well? The main intent of this thread is to ask for help from someone for a list of parts that i should replace when preforming this maintenance procedure. So far i am looking at the o-ring, a timing belt, some honda bond, and i know i will need a torque wrench. Coukd somebody please be kind enough to link some urls to the parts i need to purchase so i can be successful?
Old 01-28-2017

Originally Posted by Ohyaimember
Hey first I just want to say that i have read through this thread and i am not intending to create any unnecessary work for anyone. That being said, i have a 2003 honda civic ex 1.7 v tech. I am almost positive that i am experiencing the same leak from the o-ring on the oil pump. A guy at autozone told me i had to replace the entire pump, and not just the o-ring, is this true? I understand that I will obviously need a new o-ring, as well as a timing belt just to be safe (my car has about 56,000 miles on it). Am i right that there is in fact to oil pan gasket for my car as well? The main intent of this thread is to ask for help from someone for a list of parts that i should replace when preforming this maintenance procedure. So far i am looking at the o-ring, a timing belt, some honda bond, and i know i will need a torque wrench. Coukd somebody please be kind enough to link some urls to the parts i need to purchase so i can be successful?
Replied to your other post.
Old 05-10-2017
I thought it said HYUNDAI.

Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread, very informative. My GF's son's car we just got has the dreaded oil pump leak as well, but we were going to do the timing belt anyway, so it just adds to the fun. Is there any reason why we DON'T want to replace every oil seal we can while we are in there? Cam, crank, etc. I certainly don't want to do this job again a year from now because we accidentally cut a corner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pump Seal Leak?