Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Filter box screws

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aroyale15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Filter box screws

Does anyone have any issue with the screws that attach the air filter cover. I have 3 screws that have been stripped so far.
Also is there a cheap place I can get a replace. Thanks
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Air Filter box screws

VERY common problem with these models. The heat eventually makes the plastic brittle. Probably have to get another airbox or time to get a CAI. For parts: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/8...ml#post4492545
Old 10-06-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Go buy a tap and dye set and re thread all the threads.
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's not really the thread so much that the metal "sleeves" the threads are in that turns in the plastic housing. And there's no way to get it to catch from the back. I finally had take my drill, put it on the highest speed, and spin it and push until it came out the back. I wasn't about to leave a $40 filter in there.
Old 10-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is its cracked, not stripped. just get a new airbox on ebay and only tighten the screws hand-tight with screwdriver (not socket wrench). its caused by overtightening most of the time tho, not really heat. screws in plastic need to be torqued very carefully.
Old 10-07-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The bottom end of the threaded inserts are open allowing corrosion to form and lock the 2 together. I kept my captive screws lubed with a very light oil, it helps prevent from breaking.
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thwipp89 is an unknown quantity at this point

so...if we have this problem ("stripped air filter cover screws"), do we need to replace the air filter cover, the screws...or both? are replacement covers any better or do we just have to hand tighten the screws and be careful? thx!
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

You shouldn't have to get new screws unless you can't get them out.
Old 08-10-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thwipp89
so...if we have this problem ("stripped air filter cover screws"), do we need to replace the air filter cover, the screws...or both? are replacement covers any better or do we just have to hand tighten the screws and be careful? thx!
The biggest worry would be if you were to break the plastic housing holding the metal inserts that the screws thread into imo.