Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! brake light on,door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stressin is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! brake light on,door locks not working

hi,
I recently replaced the fusebox on my 2001 civic lx. I replaced the fusebox because my dome light would not work when the door was open,brake light was on, and the automatic door locks were not working. I did some digging around and found that the multiplexer was the problem. I replaced the fusebox/multiplexer with a used one from ebay. Now everything that was metioned above works fine but I can't get the car out of park. So I'm suspecting that the new/used fusebox that I installed is the problem. Can anybody help me out? Anyone else encounter this problem before?
thanks!
Old 07-18-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help! brake light on,door locks not working

Are your brake lights in rear coming on when you step on the brakes ??
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

yes brake lights are coming on, eveything seems normal except can't get it out of park.
Old 07-18-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like you are on the right track... Possible the box came from car with standard ?? Here is the wiring info hth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01-05 Shift Interlock Info.pdf (382.9 KB, 606 views)
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

thanks for the help, excuse my noobness but what do you mean standard?
here is the item describtion from ebay

This auction is for a Dash fuse box from a 2001 Honda civic. Will fit 2001 to 2004. Came out of running car with all items working Car was rear ended but still ran and drove fine. Fuse box has the multiplex control unit built in( controls cars acc grounds) For things like A/c,Door locks,remote door locks, E-brake light, intermit wipers, turn signals, and others. Fuse box is in great shape has some relays no fuse's. Check picture to match to yours. Fits all 2001 2002 2003 2004 HX DX LX EX non-Hybrid Civic. Email any questions.

Parts are used so sold as/is.
Old 07-19-2009

A standard 5 speed non automatic transmission.

I cannot say for sure if the fusebox/multiplex unit would different or not between the 2.A standard transmission car would not have need for a shift interlock.

How about an OEM part # tag on the units there should be a factory part # printed on tag or embossed in plastic somewhere on them. Compare the 2 numbers.

Edit: I looked on Majestics site and could not find the inside fuse box shown anywhere (I was going to compare the boxes part # between the auto and standard models) They do not show up in my crash estimating guides either (only the outside box is shown in those, that part # shows up on Majestic. But no link to illustration)

Last edited by CraigW; 07-19-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2009
Registered!!

Exactly what I was thinking! I believe the fuesbox came from a manual 5-speed and not from a automatic. I'm going to compare the numbers today and wil let you know my findings. Thanks alot for the help Craig, really appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2009
Registered!!

I put back in my old fusebox and now it's to it's original state. dome light not working,automatic locks,brake light on. Now at least I can get it out of the park position and can drive it. So I'm suspecting the fusebox came from a manual transmission. I did compare numbers on the box. There were a few different numbers in a couple different places. The embedded number on the plastic chassis was the same on both boxes. Which I thought was the part number PP-(T20+GF10). There was a number on the barcode sticker that was different then mine. mine says UOKFE3 and the other one is U0JRL8. Also stamped on the bottom there is a number. Mine is S5P-A31 C1 the other one is S5P-A11 CO. So my conclusion is this one came from a manual? Doesnt make much since to me but the only thing I can think of.
Old 07-19-2009

They appear to be different from auto to std and also from coupe to sedan.

The car is provided with an interlock release method. But if you shift it back into park you will need to release it again.
Old 07-19-2009
Registered!!

thanks Craig.I was going to meet up with someone on monday to sell me one from a 2002 sedan. I guess I'll have to cancel that. I called Honda and they want 200.00 for a new one. I'll do some calling around today to see if I can get one for cheaper. I paid 50.00 for the one on ebay.Ya I know about the interlock release method and was able to drive it around but it just did'nt feel right. thanks again for all the insight.
Old 07-20-2009

Majestic would have one of the cheapest prices... but the shipping will drive cost up.
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

DanielM is an unknown quantity at this point

I Google for similar problem in my Honda 2001 EX 4D (Sedan) and found this chat.

Stressin,
I would like to know if you finally fix the problem replacing the Multiplex Control Unit (MCU) by the one that you bought in e-bay. My car has manual transmission and I would like your advise (according with your experience) about to buy an used MCU from e-bay at cheaper price or buy a new one in Magestic Honda.

CraigW,
You provide a great technical information to Stressin, in particular the electric diagram. It was for the auto-transmission. I wonder if you have similar electric diagram for the manual-transmission car.

Thanks in advance to both of you.
Old 10-03-2009

"CraigW,
You provide a great technical information to Stressin, in particular the electric diagram. It was for the auto-transmission. I wonder if you have similar electric diagram for the manual-transmission car."

Not sure what info you need...
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

Raynel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 01 Civic EX - same problem as other posts happened Today ironically, Dome light does not light while door is Open, Power locks don't respond to remote or door switch, A/C does not cool, and Brake light stays lit on dash.....

All forums/threads point to MCU under steering column,
Honda Part**** 38200-S5A-A31, about $150 bucks online from Honda parts now. Will let you know what happens when I replace it.

Honda Part**** 38200-S5A-A31, Fuse Assy.
Old 10-21-2011
Registered!!

chulow is an unknown quantity at this point

TO ALL THATS DEFINITELY THE PROBLEM, THE MCU IS BAD, THE ONLY WAY TO FIX IS TO REPLACE THE FUSSE ASSEMBLY BOX. I FIXED MINE LIKE THAT, AND HAVE A NEW FUSE BOX FOR SALE EMAIL ME@ elchulow@gmail.com

ONLY OF THIS IS YOUR FUSE ASSEMBLY NUMBER
38200-S5P-A11
WHICH IS FOR A 2011 HONDA CIVIX LX, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, 2 DOOR

YOU CANNOT PUT A DIFFRENT ONE ON IT, SOME FUNCTIONS WILL WORK AND SOME WONT, SO DONT HALF *** IT TRYING TO PUT ONE FROM A DIFFERENT MODEL CAR...
SAVE YOURSELVES A HEADACHE...
Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Hellvision251 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Same problem. No a/c door locks not working and back dome light.
Im going to Replace the MCU but which one do i replace the one under the hood or in the cab?????????/ please help
Old 09-23-2012

Originally Posted by Hellvision251
I have Same problem. No a/c door locks not working and back dome light.
Im going to Replace the MCU but which one do i replace the one under the hood or in the cab?????????/ please help
The MICU unit is contained inside of the under-dash fuse box.