Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL: P1298 help with issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL: P1298 help with issue

Check engine light.

Ever since I hooked up emanage , and have taken it out my car has ran odd. Sometimes when I start it and go for a drive it goes right to lean. anywho.

I got a CEL today for P1298 which is Manufacture Controlled Fuel & Air Metering.

What the hell does this mean? And How can I fix it?
Old 01-08-2009
cim
Registered!!

cim is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CEL: P1298 help with issue

P1298 is ELD voltage high. Basically, the ECU is detecting that the electrical load is low when it believes it should have been higher.

This is important as the ECU controls the field winding on the alternator controlling the current output of the alternator. If it believes the electrical load is high it will keep the alternator field strength high resulting in larger current output from the alternator and keep the positive voltage >12V under that load. If one were to bypass the ELD (e.g. tapping of the postive terminal on the battery with a large electrical load), then the ECU will never detect this load and consequently keep the alternator current low. With the large electrical load, the voltage will drop below 14V which will cause your battery to 1) not charge and 2) provide the additional current needed resulting in a dead battery.

I would try to reset the ECU and then turn the ignition on and turn on the headlights. If there still is a problem, the P1298 will be set once you flip on the headlights. If that is the case then you will need to diagnose the ELD system. There is a three pin connector for it which connects to the bottom of the fuse/relay box under the hood. With the ignition on, terminal 1 should have battery voltage, terminal 2 should be at ground. There should be continuity between terminal 3 and E15 on the ECU. When the headlights turn on, you should see a voltage drop on terminal 3/E15.
Old 01-08-2009
Registered!!

Even though my car runs LEAN according to my wideband and the car wont go... has to do with this!? Since im lowered i hit a shitload of ice and scraped underneth the car. so IDK if it ****ed up some wiring or what.
Old 01-08-2009
cim
Registered!!

cim is an unknown quantity at this point

The ELD should not affect the performance of the car however their could be electrical issues in general which can cause erratic behavior from the ECU or incorrect sensor data from things like lose grounds and such which could have also manifested in the P1298. The P1298 could be completely coincidental too. I would take a look at the wiring of the emanage unit you added and try disconnecting it and see if the car still runs odd since you noticed this only after having it hooked up.
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

yeah the emanage has been out of car for months. maybe its grounds,. i have no idea
Old 01-28-2009
Registered!!

*problem solved*

Faulty Electrical Load Detector

replaced that and had no more CELS.

yay for being car smart! Easy fix as well

25$ part at honda
Old 04-25-2010
Registered!!

hello_man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I have a Honda Civic EX 2001 and recently the SRS light remain on continuously. For a couple of times, I simply tried to reset the light but it comes back in a couple of weeks.

yesterday I went to Schuks and tried to read the error code and it comes out as P1298. I read the forum and diagnose the ELD and below are what I am seeing.

PIN 1 - 12.XX volts
PIN2 - Gorund (0V)
PIN3 - with ignition on - 4.45 V
PIN3 - With lights on - 4.43 V
PIN3 - with lights and fan on - 4.41V

So seems like the voltage is dropping. Is the drop sufficient? I don't know what else to try. Can somebody suggest?

thanks
Old 04-25-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,213 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hello_man
Hello all,

I have a Honda Civic EX 2001 and recently the SRS light remain on continuously. For a couple of times, I simply tried to reset the light but it comes back in a couple of weeks.

yesterday I went to Schuks and tried to read the error code and it comes out as P1298. I read the forum and diagnose the ELD and below are what I am seeing.

PIN 1 - 12.XX volts
PIN2 - Gorund (0V)
PIN3 - with ignition on - 4.45 V
PIN3 - With lights on - 4.43 V
PIN3 - with lights and fan on - 4.41V

So seems like the voltage is dropping. Is the drop sufficient? I don't know what else to try. Can somebody suggest?

thanks
did you try mapple's solution?