Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008
CDM
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDM is an unknown quantity at this point
power window issue

I did a search but most, if not all, problems had to do with the master window switch. My wife's 2002 civic 4 dr sedan had the rear window stop and stay in the down position. The window would not go up with either the master switch or the one on the door. All other windows work with no problem and all the fuses are fine. I replaced the motor/power reg with a brand new unit but that did not work either . any info or advice is appreciated!
Old 11-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: power window issue

it could be a stuck switch. open it up and make sure all the pieces are properly in place. most likely the master switch so open that one first. i bet its stuck in "roll-down" mode.
Old 11-21-2008
CDM
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
it could be a stuck switch. open it up and make sure all the pieces are properly in place. most likely the master switch so open that one first. i bet its stuck in "roll-down" mode.
It is - the regulator etc were all put in properly. I will pull the master switch today/tomorrow and clean it to see if that works.

CDM

Last edited by CDM; 11-22-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2008
CDM
Registered!!

I know you say to use 90% alcohol and a q-tip to clean it, is there a reason not to use electrical contact cleaner?
Old 11-22-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Some (not all) contact cleaner will melt plastics.
Old 11-22-2008
CDM
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Some (not all) contact cleaner will melt plastics.
much appreciated - alcohol it is!
Old 11-23-2008

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Someone mentioned that they cleaned the master switch and it changed the symptoms (may have made it worse, not sure) For some reason the 2 door models are not affected.

I attached the test procedure, not sure if it will be of help or not ?
Attached Files
Old 11-25-2008
CDM
Registered!!

Thanks Craig. I will test and clean on the weekend but will probably order a new switch (FYI stealership charges $162 in Canuckistan!!)
Old 02-08-2009
CDM
Registered!!

Well I ordered a new master switch, installed it and...nothing! Same symptoms as before - all other windows work fine but the rear on the drivers side. Already tried a new regulator, all fuses etc look fine and a new master switch. Any ideas are most welcome!

TIA

CDM
Old 02-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me you checked the left rear switch.
Old 02-08-2009
CDM
Registered!!

yes I did The window control do not work from the master switch OR the rear window switch.
Old 02-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember right I don't think the master switch would control the window if said window's switch was bad. Use CraigW's attachment to run a diagnostic on the back window if you haven't already.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

kay481 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a problem with my window too... i have an 02 coupe...when i first got the car the window rolled down whenever i wanted it to, but after a while it started rolling down when IT wanted to... sometimes i would push the button and it wouldn't come down and then hours later it would roll down itself... now, it wont roll down at all... i'm trying to figure out if its the window motor or just the wiring that is messed up... i dnt want to buy a whole new window motor if its just the wiring.....
Old 02-10-2009
CDM
Registered!!

well I won't get a chance to pull out the tester until the weekend but I will go through Craig's handout and check all the connectors
Old 03-05-2009

My drivers rear has stopped working as well on my 05. I noticed the map lights will dim when trying it like it is bound up or something.

I may try to access the motors connector and put voltage direct to the motor to see what happens. Never noticed any issues with operation it just quit.
Old 03-07-2009

The motor is getting voltage, It draws about 12.2 Amps and will not budge. I put voltage directly to the disconnected motor from the battery and it still will not move. I saw in the manual to keep the regulator rail lubed (it appeared to have white grease, so thats what I used) I lubed the regulator and the channel the window comes down into and tried to get lube into the top cable, still nothing. I think the motor/gear/cable spool assembly is most likely seized.

To the OP... Check to see if the map lights flicker or dim slightly went trying the problem window with the engine off and the key at II. Check for voltage at the motors connector. Since you did the motor/regulator and the master switch and still no go you could have a broken wire.
Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

CivicScot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM
I did a search but most, if not all, problems had to do with the mas246402564640256er window switch. My wife's 2002 civic 4 dr sedan had the rear window stop and stay in the down position. The window would not go up with either the master switch or the one on the door. All other windows work with no problem and all the fuses are fine. I replaced the motor/power reg with a brand new unit but that did not work either . any info or advice is appreciated!
Hi,
I have also gone through all the steps like yourself to try and fix this rear window problem. Now I just feel defeated, still cant get any power to the rear door, spent a few bucks and lots of hours on this and not sure what to do.?
Was just hoping that mabye you finally had some luck with your issue and could give me some insight as to what the problem was.
If you did not then my search continues until I smash the frickin car to pieces.
Old 07-26-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Cmon man, look at the date of those posts... don't revive threads.

Check if windows gos up/down with direct power. Connect 12 V directly to window motor and see if it gos up or down. Reverse the polarity for the opposite direction. If this doesn't work-bad motor.

Test to see if power is coming out of the master (driver) switch. Check like an inch from the switch, not all over the car. If it isn't, replace the master switch.

Test to see if bad door's switch is getting power in BOTH directions depending on if you push the driver switch up or down. If it reverses polarity like it should when you switch the master switch, replace the slave switch because it's not letting the current pass through to the motor.

If there is still not a solution, you have a broken ground/power wire. Find out which one it is by looking at a wire diagram (google for it) and find which wires you need to test for continuity. Check each wire for continuity and find the spot that the wire is broken inside the insulation.

If it still doesn't work, you're SOL or did something wrong.