Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Exhaust problem, dont know what to do? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vinothm is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust problem, dont know what to do? Need advice

Hey guys. This is my first time posting a mechanical problem, and I did use the search function but its not helping.

I have had this exhaust rattle for about a year and its driving me crazy.

I have 2002 civic LX. I have replaced the Cat, check the manifold for cracks, tried running without heat shields. I cant pinpoint the noise but it seems to happen only in certain RPM ranges and comes from either the engine bay or underneath the front of the car.

Im left with thinking it may be where the downpipe from the cat connects to the rest of the exhaust. My last hope is that it could be the 2 spring bolts or gasket there.

Everything on my car is OEM. no aftermarket exhaust.

Do any of you have any suggestions. One thing I noticed when changing my cat is the two spring bolts have very little resistance or tension. Could that be it?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Exhaust problem, dont know what to do? Need advice

mileage on your car?

you might wanna check your rubber mounts for the exhausts.
you also want to check ur bushings or engine mounts.
make sure all the heatshields are tight and not loose.
Old 06-09-2008
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

yea check the rubber mounts...if one is broken the exhaust could be hitting your suspension. i only say that because i had the same problem
Old 06-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Hmm.. LX?

I think you have a front sway bar (right?), if so- check to make sure that they are not hitting. Most of the time they dont, but sometimes they do. Other then that, nothing should be rattling.

If you dont find anything that could be causing the sound, unbolt your exhaust from after the header/cat and see if you can still hear the sound (over the now really loud exhaust)

If you can, then maybe its not your exhaust. When you say it happens at only certain RPM's the harmonic balancer springs to mind, but I haven't heard of these ever failing or wearing out.