Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

second auto tranny in less than 70,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
second auto tranny in less than 70,000 miles?

i have a 2003 civic EX coupe. love it. it lost alot of points with me when the tranny went in january. took it to a reputable tranny shop in providence in march, had it back in a few days... that was 12,000 miles ago... and today im here to report hard gear changes at slower speeds. shuddering and worrisome gearchages from 1st to 2nd.

im also hearing some rattling under the hood, it could be a heat shield but since its been happening ive been noticing my tranny not doing so good. but its not slipping... not yet. *crosses fingers*

granted i need to call the shop to take a look at it.. but any other advice on what it could be? im seriously about to sell this car cause im getting sick of it. ever since the first tranny went all i can think about is whats the next to go, whens it going to break down again.
Old 06-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: second auto tranny in less than 70,000 miles?

well what did they replace it with? another honda tranny that has the same defect? shouldve at least put in an 04-05 tranny which i think has the problem fixed. otherwise yeah they dont last long. its better to just rebuild the old one with the TCI kit.
Old 06-09-2008
Registered!!

they did a complete rebuild. coverter and all.
Old 06-09-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm well they mustve not done a very good job. shouldve had them use the upgrade kit not just the stock clutches. and youre using the honda atf right?
Old 06-09-2008
Registered!!

yeah its honda ATF. the bill came to 1,968.XX to have all the work done, which included a broken tranny mount which broke from an accident i had i believe back in july..

but its odd. sometimes its fine, sometimes its not. sounds like its going to stall sometimes, or if i slow down cause someone is turning on a side road and im doing maybe 5-10 MPH and i go to accelerate... it will slam into second.

and if im at a red light its usually ok but the shift from 1st to second isnt always smooth.
and yes i drie harder than average... but i dont try to make my car peel out.. nor do i rev and slam it into drive to look cool.

Last edited by sentbacktothesu; 06-09-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2008
Premium Member

to keep from slamming into second, ease on the throttle slowly til it shifts, and i mean just barely press the gas. i have the same problem with original tranny and if you dont slam the gas too hard, its not as bad.