Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

axle broken or transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dino71 is an unknown quantity at this point
axle broken or transmission

i installed a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate, took the car home, washed it, of coarse my feet were wet and my foot slipped off the clutch pedal with a loud snap. now under a load i here it snap. does not do it around corners, does it straight foward and reverse. any ideas?
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Re: axle broken or transmission

Wait....like a continous snaping noise or just when you use the pedal?
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

not continous, only when i accelerate or down shift, just one loud snap
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm....still not quite sure what you mean...however when I installed my stage 3 comp clutch it destroyed my transmission......when I would downshift it would shudder so friggin hard, sounded like midget w/ a mallet on my firewall. I don't know if thats what you're experiencing. If it didn't do it before the clutch it's probably clutch or teardown related. I hate to say it but you might have to teardown again. Does it just slap once when accelerating or continously while accel?
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

just one snap,i was just told today it is the inner axel, but they said it just doesnt break that easy, they think the axle was not all the way in place and thats why it broke. do you think thats possible?
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

Yes that is very very possible. We did an axle replacement a couple weeks ago after someone did a transmission install. They neglected to put the right side axle all the way in & it broke the splines completely off & ruined the joint.
The customer had the car towned in because it wouldn't even move. I didn't ask about any noise...it was very apparent!

Usually if the outer joint is suspect it clicks while turning....however I have seen the inner joints shot and not making noise around corners. You just need to get the car in the air & start inspectin'....when you have it in the air, run the car, & simulate what you do on the street. Have someone stand underneither & watch the axles for movement......dead give away.
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

i`ve had it on the hoist today, no apparent damage noticed, but i can move the inner axleback and forth and up and down, i`m gonna order axles, bearings this week, thxs Fosho, i really appreciate the help
Old 05-01-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

off topic...

my half shaft moves left and right by about an inch...

not normal?
Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

We'll the axles should move just slightly....inches....no way.........I just discovered last night that my right carquest axle is shot agaiN! Honda axles are too expensive

If it moves alot & makes noises when you move it manually with you hand, I bet there is an issue.
Old 05-06-2008
Registered!!

well unfortunately i bought axles, but apparently that is not the problem, someting inside the tranny is causing the snap. now i get to do something i havent done in many years, DIY tranny job, lucky me. i`m so excited i could puke. i`ll let ya know what the outcome is after i clean up the mess,lol
Old 05-06-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

answer foshos question! he works at honda im sure he can help you. is it a loud snap or just a very quiet clicking noise? it could be just your throw out bearing.
Old 05-07-2008
Registered!!

ya have fun with that. I looked up price wise.....it's cheaper & easier to just install a used transmission. Too much work & money to rebuild my junk transmission thats just gonna go again. Put a used one w/ low miles in....then if that one goes rebuild the 1st one

You can possibly make it cheap by just pulling the transmission apart & only replacing the affected items. But thats like pulling an engine bottom end, fixing a bearing, & not rebuilding anything else...right Foo's? ahah he can't see that joke :0 You're there, ya might as well do it!

We work smarter not harder!

Last edited by FoSho; 05-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2008
Registered!!

well i got the axels out, and everything unbolted, i noticed brass or copper filings on the throwout bearing arm, the bearing is new but maybe it was not put in properly , i`ll try to drop the tranny tonight after work
Old 05-17-2008
Registered!!

well, after all the work, time, and money, and all the garages i had taken my car to, not one was right, it just so happened a friend that was in town fo a few days and fixed it. the mechanic that installed the clutch the first time did not tighten the front motor mount. live and learn i guess, at least now i can try out the stage 2 clutch