Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light On WITH Code 7-2 "Internal failure of SRS unit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough
SRS Light On WITH Code 7-2 "Internal failure of SRS unit"

Hello everybody,

I have taken my civic to the stealership recently for the 80k checkup and then struts and brakes and random crap like that.

Anyways, the SRS before I went turned on. So I followed the reset thing I found on here (thankyou whoever wrote that), and it turned off, so happy me. Within a day or two, it was back on. So when I took it to the dealership again, I asked them to take a look at it, and they just reset it, and said they would have to look more for the actual problem, and they did receive an error code. Error 7-2 which is apparently "internal failure of SRS unit".

Now does this mean that any component in the SRS systen including sensors or the alternator voltage is failing, or does this mean that the actual controller that processes all of this has failed?

I drive quite a bit and the drivers here are pretty stupid, so having no airbags sort of makes me a little bit scared.

Also is the SRS unit seperate/replaceable from the main ECU, or anything like that?

Does anyone have any insight as to other things that cause this?
Old 08-25-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
Re: SRS Light On WITH Code 7-2 "Internal failure of SRS unit"

airbags freak me out. the end.
Old 08-25-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
airbags freak me out. the end.
Yeah now imagine you have this mystery code on and you never know if this intermittent failure will just randomly pop you in the face while driving or something! It is a not a very nice feeling to sit in the seat with damned light on!

And I hope "the end" isnt my end from these faulty airbags!
Old 08-25-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The manual shows a pretty large list of codes. The 7-2 is grouped with others in the "internal failure of SRS unit" They told you the correct terminology.

It also said to make sure battery and charging system is working properly.(may trigger codes if not)

My 05 currently has SRS indicator on since 52k. I have reset codes as well and it comes right back on.
Old 08-25-2007
Registered!!

That is the over 15.2v for the charging system correct?

So since 7-2 is so general, it could really be anything... This sucks...

Although would my thinking be correct that since after resetting, it stays off for some perioid of time meaning that it passed the test then. So it would make sense that a sensor is passing erradic readings in error rather than a part sending constant erroneous errors. If they were constant I would think it would come immediately after a reset.

So would this put the possibility of a sensor malfunction over the SRS control box failure?
Old 08-25-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

and the dealership found out the error code and decided they dont know how to fix it? take it to them...
Old 08-25-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
and the dealership found out the error code and decided they dont know how to fix it? take it to them...
I am actually at the dealership right now using their wifi.

The thing is they dont have time. I am now back in school so M-F is no good. And Saturdays are too busy. They are replacing a little plastic trim piece by the trunk release and gas release right now, but they cant get to the SRS.

And I have homework, and other such things so I cant be sitting here for hours and hours on a Saturday. So I may just have to wait for Winter Break, but FWD + Colorado Winters + No Air Bags == Scared Me.
Old 09-07-2007

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I just had my code read today and it was also a 7-2 Internal Failure of SRS Control unit. Estimate is just shy of $1000 / 2.5 years old 52K
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

your airbag won't just blow out at you. my srs light is on, won't go off, not even sure on the code. probably has something to do with my rsx seats. also have a check engine light for evap system. doesnt effect my car so i just leave it. just pull your srs bulb and get an aftermarket steering wheel if it scares you. our cars are fine to wreck without a bag, they crumple anyway.
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

Diaphanosoma is an unknown quantity at this point

Any updates on this situation? In similar now. Thinking of changing battery first (near end of life) and then swapping the SRS unit (wasn't too expensive on line).
D
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Diaphanosoma
Any updates on this situation? In similar now. Thinking of changing battery first (near end of life) and then swapping the SRS unit (wasn't too expensive on line).
D
Well the update is I still have no airbags. I am debating whether or not to fix it. Paying $1200 to fix something that makes the car value go up by about the same amount is worth it. Because right now if I dont fix it and sell my car, I lose that value I already paid for when I bought it... I havent had any time to go to the dealership because there is only 1 in town and they close at 5, and I am never done with schol or work before 10pm.

You say you found the SRS unit cheaply online? Link?

I dont think it is my battery as it is a new-ish Optima Yellowtop, and the alternator has been replaced (by dealership OEM). I have heard that if the charging system is malfunctioning (too low of voltage) the SRS unit wont turn on, and the light will come on. But my car has been fine so I think the charging is ok.

Is the SRS unit right behind the dash where the radio is sort of attached to a big bundle of wires on the right (if looking into dash from seats)? And if you switch it out, will any 7th gen's work, or is it specific to year, or specific to model, or both? I have a 2001 EX 2dr...
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

CARMandP is an unknown quantity at this point

7-2. Internal SRS control unit failure. Need to replace the srs control unit. Should cost you less than $500 at the stealership.
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

Well the dealership gave me their estimate of $1200 last time I was there. Thats quite a bit more than $500....

Do you (or anyone else) know the part number of the SRS unit, and its location? It should just be a magic box with plugs so a simple, unplug old one, plug in new one, and it should work right?
Old 10-04-2007

My estimate for the same code was $1000.

Each models actual part # for the control unit will change some (side airbags,coupe/sedan) Have a dealer look up the number used for you maybe.

I think the location is as mentioned, center front.
Old 10-04-2007
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Well I just did a civic with that code today as a matter of fact. I work at a honda dealership.

7-2 is usually a problem interally with the srs unit. The srs unit is under the passenger seat I believe and is separate from the ecm. I have seen this code time & time again. I have never seen a wiring problem, it is always the srs unit. They are absolute junk in our cars. The unit itself was about 700-800ish, depending if the parts depart. is behind this month

First thing they will do is start tracing wiring to rule that out. Just because the SRS light is on does not mean the air bags will or will not go off. There is no way to test the operation of the air bag. Technically having that light on will stop the air bags from deploying but who knows ...go crash it and find out

I'd go to a junk yard but chances are they know it costs alot......

Last edited by FoSho; 10-04-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2007
Premium Member

hyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nice

i have the same problem. i keep on doing the reset but now it doesn't work anymore.i think its the rsx seats.
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

i wish there was an aftermarket steering wheel i liked, or something i could get with no airbag, and then a jdm CTR air bag tray like the old civics, cause i'd just do without them. i've been in enough car wrecks to know what to expect from a hard impact. plus i dont drive my civic that much anyway.
Old 10-12-2007

The SRS control unit replacement resolved the 7-2 code and light on my 05. Honda gave me a 50% deal on a reduced estimated price my cost was $325 + tax and the $80 diagnostic fee.

If you need ANY "goodwill" or "assistance" from AH be careful. Once they "assist" you ( in my case they paid 75% on the second set replacement of their POS struts that lasted over 12k but less than 1 year !!!) If they offer help you may not be able to make a second claim easily.

If you have a 7-2 (or any of the "internal failure of SRS control unit" codes let Honda know and also the NHTSA as well. Electronic units in this day and age should be better quality than this IMO.
Old 10-12-2007
I'm not biased, I hate everyone equally!

unsocial is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my SRS light on for a while, and the dealership replaced my driverside seatbelt. Problem solved and no more light.
Old 10-12-2007

The seatbelts and possibly the buckles are covered for the life of the car (except cosmetic) The dealer told me if the SRS light turns out to be belts there is not even a diagnostic fee ( he may be talking out his *** ) all other items are 3/36
Old 10-13-2007
Premium Member

hyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nice

Originally Posted by CraigW
The SRS control unit replacement resolved the 7-2 code and light on my 05. Honda gave me a 50% deal on a reduced estimated price my cost was $325 + tax and the $80 diagnostic fee.

If you need ANY "goodwill" or "assistance" from AH be careful. Once they "assist" you ( in my case they paid 75% on the second set replacement of their POS struts that lasted over 12k but less than 1 year !!!) If they offer help you may not be able to make a second claim easily.

If you have a 7-2 (or any of the "internal failure of SRS control unit" codes let Honda know and also the NHTSA as well. Electronic units in this day and age should be better quality than this IMO.
do you have rsx seats?i had it diagnose last year,they said it was because of the rsx seats.they just reset it.i did the rest of the reset if it comes on but now it won't turn off.
Old 10-13-2007

^^^ all stock,had not even had the battery disconnected in months before the SRS light appeared.
Old 04-20-2010
Registered!!

jlaw21652 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know thi sis a late response but I just returned from the Honda dealer and He advised I had a 7-2 code. He also advised that it is a general code and that means there is a problem in the SRS control unit. He also advised that ir would be 352.45 to repair. I found a site that will reset the codes for 49.00 plus shipping. Her is the link.
http://www.myairbags.com/

I hope this helps someone. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2010
Registered!!

I know this is a late response but I just returned from the Honda dealer and He advised I had a 7-2 code. He also advised that it is a general code and that means there is a problem in the SRS control unit. He also advised that ir would be 352.45 to repair. I found a site that will reset the codes for 49.00 plus shipping. Her is the link.

Old 04-20-2010
Registered!!

Talking Re: SRS Light On WITH Code 7-2 "Internal failure of SRS unit"

In case anyone is interested. I found my SRS module on a 2002 civic. It is located behind the center console --way back. It is attached by 3 torx screws, one of which is behind the control unit, and a devil to get too. I found it was easier to remove the center console cover in order to access the screws easier and see the wiring. The left and rear screws are on slots so they can be loosened and not removed. The right screw has to be removed. The wire harness entering from the left has to be release from the module by removing the push in attachment. The plugs are removed by pulling back on a collar and then out. The right plug has a push down tab. With some wiggling and jiggling the module can be removed to the left. Pulling it half out facilitates removal of the plugs. This is not an easy or quick job. The right under dash trim needs to be removed the carpeet needs to be pulled back both sides as well as the center console trim before any of that can be done. The top rear of the console snaps in. the rear of the console has 2 screws. the front of the console has 2 push pins at the bottom front.
The driver seat has to be reclined to remove the trim, clears the arm rest.

I hope this helps some one else as it took me awhile to get it apart.

Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

LMartinez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
im going to try not to say anything out of contact (TRY) i bought my civic cp ex 01' in 05' the guy told me he replaced the air bag system after the crash. STUPID me i believed him. the SRS code has been on since i got the car. but he said dont worry u just have to reset it (which he said he never got around to doing it) Now in the state of PA these things arent major. But now that i hae moved back to NYC this has been a MAJOR issue. having a Reconstructed title means (have *** junk) in NYC so, i have taking the car to multiple mechanics to fix this & they all say 7-2 crap is the problem meaning i have to pay for a new unit. I called the guy who sold me the car & like i suspected he doesnt want to be responsible for the car since i got it so long ago. he said "i cant recall what i did to the car, i told you getting the car registered in NYC you would be opening a whole new can of worms" WTF is that is what i thought. i can imagine if i got in to an accident does this mean i would have a darn air bag workingto safe me? But at the end of the day there isn't anything i can do not after nearly 5 yrs. Everywhere i go they all say the same thing, Just get the Unit for $386.91 at Honda dealer & get that out of the way. i sure need help with all of this.
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

davidh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jlaw21652
I know thi sis a late response but I just returned from the Honda dealer and He advised I had a 7-2 code. He also advised that it is a general code and that means there is a problem in the SRS control unit. He also advised that ir would be 352.45 to repair. I found a site that will reset the codes for 49.00 plus shipping. Her is the link.

Don't forget that these resetting services list as the #1 question

"Was your airbag deployed"?

I don't think this service will be able to fix a unit that displays the 7-2, 7-3 error codes.

Please let me know if I am wrong in thinking this.

My wife's 1997 Honda Civic LX displayed the srs light. Dealer says 7-2, 7-3 Internal failure of SRS Control Unit $800 to replace.

This unit should be rock solid and not fail.
Old 08-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

erm...

thanks for the input, but this thread is quite old...

also, my siemens unit died 2 years ago and no reset could bring it back from dead. It happens, like with a hard disk going out.