Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Horn doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupidspoons is an unknown quantity at this point
Horn doesn't work.

My horn doesnt work, where should i start first to find out the problem?
Old 03-28-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
fuse, and check wires
Old 03-29-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Listen for a click noise in the under-hood fuse box when pressing the horn button. Also #7 15 Amp fuse in under-hood box.
Old 03-29-2006
Registered!!

DOHCtor is an unknown quantity at this point
what post 2 and 3 said
Old 03-29-2006
Registered!!

what happens if theres no noise?
Old 03-29-2006

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
The click noise would be the horn relay.

Does it have keyless ?? If so try the panic button to see if horn blows.

Start the car hold down the horn button while turning the steering wheel back and forth to see if horn works intermitently
Old 03-29-2006
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
did you change your steering wheel?

If so, could be the ground wire behind the horn/SRS.

Otherwise....as all the above already suggested
Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
The click noise would be the horn relay.

Does it have keyless ?? If so try the panic button to see if horn blows.

Start the car hold down the horn button while turning the steering wheel back and forth to see if horn works intermitently

I can hear a clicking noise soo i have to replace my relay?
Old 04-13-2006

If you can hear a click then the fuse, horn button and relay coil are o.k. That leaves the relay contacts, wiring of switched circuit or the horns coil is open.

Own a volt meter ?? If you have voltage at the horns single terminal and the grounding of the horn is o.k then the coil is likely open.

I have some wiring info if you need it. PM with E-Mail and I will send it to you.

One of my next mods will be find a place for a pair of Accord horns. Not an easy task in the 7th Gen engine bay. They sound great IMO.
Old 04-14-2006
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
samething happened to me like 3 weeks ago. i heard that clicking noise in the fuse box under the hood. i thought the relay was done with so i pulled it, looked at it, and put it back in. on my way to autozone to see if they had the relay, i locked my doors with the remote and my horn worked.

maybe that'll work for you
Old 04-14-2006

^^^ nothing better than a re-seated connection fix.
Old 04-14-2006
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
use finger
Old 04-15-2006
Registered!!

stari ribic is an unknown quantity at this point
relay

The relay for horn can click but it is still possible that it will not connect the circuit!
Try substituting the relay from lights or something with the horn relay.
I had a problemwith horn too - it didn't work. Everytime I pressed the horn button it blew my fuse. I've found out that my honda has 3 horns (?)- two on the right hand side (low) and these two were okay. I was out of ideas, when I found the third (!) horn. It was on lefthand side below the window-wash bottle and very hard to get at and this was blown/shortcircuited.
Old 10-13-2018
Registered!!

Civic4Days is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having the same issue

I took my recently purchased 03 civic to dealer for recalls on the airbags. Ol and behold the horn stopped working after the visit, so I took it back for them to fix since it was working perfectly fine before. After charging me $140 diagnostic, they said the cable reel was broken, and needed to be replaced for $500. A visit to second mechanic says otherwise though. He says there is no cable going from the steering wheel to the horn, and the problem will most likely be a clockspring inside the steering column. I really dont know what to believe anymore, so if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it.
P.S., horn works perfectly fine via remote for locking doors or panic.
Old 10-13-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Horn doesn't work.

They're both talking about the same part
Old 10-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Horn doesn't work.

Cable reel is what Japan calls it, clockspring is what US calls it,

Not complicated to replace, and not something that gets disturbed really when changing the airbag.

I know Texas and Virginia inspection codes only require a working horn, if you installed a push button switch on the dash to activate it the car would pass.

I definately would pull one off a scrapyard Civic, just be sure to take variety of styles of Torx wrenches (T35?) as you likely won’t be able to turn the wheel for easy access.

Old 10-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm having the same issue

Originally Posted by Civic4Days
I took my recently purchased 03 civic to dealer for recalls on the airbags. Ol and behold the horn stopped working after the visit, so I took it back for them to fix since it was working perfectly fine before. After charging me $140 diagnostic, they said the cable reel was broken, and needed to be replaced for $500. A visit to second mechanic says otherwise though. He says there is no cable going from the steering wheel to the horn, and the problem will most likely be a clockspring inside the steering column. I really dont know what to believe anymore, so if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it.
P.S., horn works perfectly fine via remote for locking doors or panic.
Because the horn can honk a lot during drivers airbag removal and installation, one mechanic in our shop was removing the horn relay before he did his work. Check yours?

Clockspring (common name) and cable reel (Hondas name) are two different names for the same part. There's probably a dozen more less common names for it.
I'd want to be able to prove the clockspring is bad before paying a dime.... It's not really a high failure item, and if someone JUST had their fingers in the steering wheel airbag immediately prior then I'd want to remove the airbag and inspect horn wiring and mechanical switch function in the steering wheel area.