Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help removing a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
need help removing a bolt

I'm trying to remove a Hex bolt that is starting to strip. The bike shop that put it back on turned it way too much. I can't do anything about the shop since its a motorcycle shop at a track i go to.

It's an AL bolt so its soft and the head is angled(like a mushroom). I tried to clamp it with a vise grip, but it slips of and takes a chunk of metal with it since its soft.

What can I do to remove this bolt?
Old 03-03-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Try an aluminum wrench (thats a serious statement), it shouldn't eat the nut as bad because its just as soft. Don't try a bolt extractor or something cuz you'll just destroy it. I would say drill it and tap it if you can..... an tool steel tap would eat it like butter.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

would this work?
Old 03-04-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
THats probably going to eat right through it. You can try it and see if it'll grab, but hardened steel tools tend to rip right through aluminum. Go slowly and carefully and see if it bites.
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

got it out.

the ez screw out didn't work. it caught, but the bolt wouldn't move. my neighbor helped me out. one cramp on the bolt and another vise grip on the cramp