Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

check engine light..bout 1000 codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02blkhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah but like i put in one of the other post this is not the first time this has happened....it has happened before once about 1 month ago. Same codes but it just went away...ok so after i adjusted my valves they were super quiet and now they are gettin loud again...like they got loud the very next day, i did it the way that everybody told me to...and i know our cars dont have distributor caps but what is the little cylinder shaped thing that is to the left of the valve cover has a plug that runs back to the wires that go into the coils on the plugs...could that be the problem???cause it sounds like it is something in the ignition or timing the way it is making all the cylinders misfire
Old 02-17-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Question

were running in circles man....
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

yeah i feel like a dog chasing his tail
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
right there what you said, the valves are getting louder, is one indication that there is a problem. what tools are you using to adjust the valves?

Are you using a feeler gauge to meaure the clearance? Are you torquing down the locknut once you adjusted the screw? And are you checking the clearance after it was torqued down? ok, check your compression ASAP, before you do anything? NO ifs, ands, buts about it, check the compression, I want to know what your compression is. based on that we will go from there.

Also I doubt your coils are the problems. they are all controlled electronically through the ECU. timing that is. it uses a cam and crank senser to assist with the timing. that why I ask if there are any other codes. if a crank sensor has a fault, it could cause this. same with a cam sensor. fuel pressure can also be a problem. there are a number of things. but you have to find out exactly what it is. it takes time. misfires arent easy to diagnose. it may take you several hours to find, but there isnt anything you can do. you need to start eliminating things. but again, start with a compression test. quit trying to think of what else might be a problem and start with the compression check.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 02blkhonda
yeah i feel like a dog chasing his tail
you are the one causing that. we have told you what to check but you insist on figuring out what else could be wrong and wont start eliminating causes. quit thinking and start acting.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

aight i will go first thing in the morning to my friends house and get the tool...my girl is coming or i would go now and get it, i will post results tomorrow around noon...thx for the help
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

your welcome. dont think I am trying to be an *** or anything, I just want you to start testing stuff.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

i know dude i have been putting off the compression check but i guess i really need to do it...i willl post results tomorrow
Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
loose valves will cause power loss but NOT rough idle or misfire unless they are totally flapping around.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

if you have valves that are too tight, you may have valves that dont completely close. and if they dont completely close, the incoming air may leak out during the compression stroke and if there is nothing in there for the spark plug to ignite, it can cause a misfire which in turn will cause the engine to run rough if 2 out of 4 cylinders are misfiring. now with them too loose, not enough air/fuel mixture will be allowed to enter the cylinder. or possibly not enough will be allowed to leave thus causing a misfire.
Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ah okay. but if his are too tight the valve already burnt.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

so i may have burnt valves??????idk i will do the compression check on the morning
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

if you did happen to overtighten a valve or set of valves, I doubt they would already be burnt. but if you have a correct engine clearance and low compression on a certain cylinder, it isnt out of the question.
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

ok sorry i had to go to detroit for a week i am now back home so i can do the compression check tomorrow.........or today whatever.......i will post results
Old 02-27-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Talking

for a crazy thread
Old 02-28-2006
Registered!!

yes this is a long *** thread...........ummm couldnt get my hands on that compression gauge yet...but im gonna get that in sumter, sc which i am going to tomorrow to help my friend out and install my new from honda motor mount...i will evetually post some results
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

benparker717 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: check engine light..bout 1000 codes

Ok, so now that this thread is 5 years old, I have run across it and it is exactly what is happening to me. is anyone still on here giving advice about this?? uhmm did these two procrastonators ever go check their compression?? its not that ****in hard guys....