Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

check engine light..bout 1000 codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Question

I too, have THIS EXACT problem! For roughly a few mounths, never found out though what causes it? I do notice my car tends to misfire when I first start it up! It sounds like a bouble in the idle. like perrrrrrrrrrrrr (blupe) perrrrrrrrrrr (bouble) perrrrrrrr. Any of this make sence???
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

02blkhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
that is funny you have almost the same name too...lol, umm i have not figured out what the deal is and my idle does the exact same thing as yours^^^...i was wondering i was up north in detroit and it snowed really bad, well i dont have that black/grey plastic peice that fits over the radator...kinda keeps **** from going in between the grill and the hood. well i notice that there is salt and water stains all over underneath the hood..could this be my problem??maybe a distributer got wet or whatever we have???
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
if I were you, I would pull the valve cover and check your valve adjustment. If you did a valve adjustment a week earlier and this is now happening, I would start there. valves out of adjustment can cause a random misfire. Do a compression check first to see if any cylinders are low, if any are, you need to readjust your valves.

I think that is your problems, nothing else.
Old 02-16-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Question

you dont have a distributer! But You need that cap on your radiator!! We just need to keep the thread going and see what every one else has to say!!

The name thing is ironic?!?!?!?!
Old 02-16-2006

I check my valves less then 5000 miles ago sooooooooo, thats all gooood any other sugestions THX again guys!!
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
is your check engine light on?
Old 02-16-2006

Shup, every few days it turns on then... the third day it turns OFF!! The next day I start my car and BAMMM CEL ON! Drives me nuts man
Old 02-16-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
compression results?
Old 02-16-2006

I have yet to do a compression TEST! would you advise I have one done??? I do get a "Random Cylinder Misdfire" ON All Cylinders. SOOOOO compression could be KEY. Hu?!
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Or the crank sensor is bad, really, you need to hook up the car to a scanner that can monitor the actual values while running to see what is up.

The car does not have a distributor (direct coil), but it does have a crank sensor to detect where the crank is for the ECU to fire that individual plug. One thing I would really check, goes with the compression check is to check the plugs. When was the last time they were changed, gapped, etc. If never, they are toast and need to be replaced. They would not necessarily be changed with a valve job.
Old 02-17-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
if the crank sensor were bad, you would get a crank sensor/cam sensor correlation error. If they do not have the same identical signal, there will be a CEL for that.
Old 02-17-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
lol wtf is the cell lite?

dude why dont you jus swap the motor....i have a d17a2 if you need it let me kno, might be able to ship it
Old 02-17-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spoonJDMlX
lol wtf is the cell lite?

dude why dont you jus swap the motor....i have a d17a2 if you need it let me kno, might be able to ship it
because it may be an electrical problem. And swapping the motor wont solve that.
Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
lol CEL = Check Engine Light
Old 02-17-2006

Question

what the hell happend to this thread???? I have a "check engine light" ON as I am typing... I just changed the spark plugs roughly 3000 miles ago! I have covered all the basics, I would just like to know what every-ones input was...
Old 02-17-2006

Question

Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member

if you dont do what we're telling you, there is no point to guess what your problem is?
Old 02-17-2006

Question

I under stand! I just want every-ones oppion on the problem. So far 3 diffrent people gave me 3 diffrent answers...
Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member

okay what is your car doing and what is the code again?
Old 02-17-2006

CEL is on! I get a "RANDOM CYLINDER MISFIRE ON ALL CYLINDERS" so the code reads cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, and finally random cylinder misfire <----(my favorite)

The realy wierd part is the CEL will go away random'ly for roughly a day or two... THEN BAMMM I start my car and the CEL is back!!! It's always a misfire though. New plugs, valve job done, cleaned injectors, whats next gear...
Old 02-17-2006
Premium Member

test the resistance of each ignition coil with a multimeter. run some fp60/lc20 through the car from lubecontrol.com

do a compression check, do a coolant system pressure check. do a chemical test for exhaust gases in the coolant. then come back
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
CEL is on! I get a "RANDOM CYLINDER MISFIRE ON ALL CYLINDERS" so the code reads cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, and finally random cylinder misfire <----(my favorite)

The realy wierd part is the CEL will go away random'ly for roughly a day or two... THEN BAMMM I start my car and the CEL is back!!! It's always a misfire though. New plugs, valve job done, cleaned injectors, whats next gear...
How long ago did you do your valve adjustment? As with the other guy, I would run a compression test. I say this if you just had the valve adjustment done.
Old 02-17-2006

less then 8,000 miles ago I got my valves adjusted. Do you think I should get a compression test done??
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

ok well i was talking to this guy where i get tires at and he was tellin me about his daughters o1 ex that was wrecked, they had no insurance, that sucks but anyways the motor had 40,000 miles on it and so i went and check it out look really clean...to be sittin there since october, he wanted 400. That sounds like a pretty decent price i think....i might just get that motor and have my friend drop it in for me...what would be your thoughts on this
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

^^^ before you go out and spend $400 on a motor, why not try and figure out what is causing your problem. it could be as simple as a valve adjustment. dont throw $400 on a new motor when a $10 gasket would have fixed the problem. And I say gasket because once you do a valve adjustment, you need a new gasket. Anyway, check everything first. dont throw away a perfectly good motor. do the compression test before anything. stop procrastinating and go buy a compression tester and do it. and tell us the results.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
less then 8,000 miles ago I got my valves adjusted. Do you think I should get a compression test done??
how long after you got the valves adjuisted did the light come on?

if it wasnt too long after, I would check the compression to rule out the valves. but if its low I would start there. if that is fine, make sure you dont have any other codes and start check plugs, coils, injectors, and finally sensors.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

i know what your sayin but the motor has 100k hard miles on it...i have beat the **** out it...lol, but i will do the compression check on it before i that motor, also i just did a valve adjustment and that doesnt seem to be my problem. but i didnt replace that valve cover gasket but that wouldnt be my problem. Is there like a distributor or something else that could be causing it?
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

our cars dont have distributors, we have coil on plug ignitions.

Anyway, if you just did a valve adjustment and this problem is happening, I would go ahead and check the valve adjustment. just cause it was done doesnt mean it was done correct. you could have accidentally adjusted a set of valves with the engine in the wrong position and now that set is way too loose. or too tight. if its too loose, the cylinder might not bring in enough air or push it out the exhaust valve for that matter. this can cause a random misfire if not done correctly. it needs to be checked to make sure. you need to diagnose before you do anything. its like anything else, if you install a set of new shocks and the car starts squeaking, are you going to assume the shocks are good just cause there new. No you will go back and check everything because they were just installed. Same situation here. go check your adjustment.
Old 02-17-2006

The CEL did come back a few days after the valve job, but I had the light on befor the job was done. I have coverd all my bases; plugs,valves, regular maintinance. it's just soooo wierd how it goes away and comes back...

02blkhonda: DONT buy that engine! Wast of money! Figure out what's wrong with the car dont just throw money at the problem...
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

basically for the both of you. start with a compression test to eliminate the mechanical part of the engine. if the test comes out good, start checking plugs, injectors, coils, and last sensors. the sensor portion may be hard, it may require you to use a scanner and snap shot the info as the code appears.

Quick Reply: check engine light..bout 1000 codes