Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny or Engine Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny or Engine Mount?

Hey everyone, I have been posting about a problem I have been having with my 2001 Civic EX Auto. Well anyways, I believe it is either my tranny or possibly an Engine/Tranny mount that is going bad. Let me describe the symptoms. This only happens when I am starting from a stop and in first gear, but my car starts to vibrate and it feels like something isn't catching in my tranny. Today when it happened, which it does quite frequently, I gave it alot of gas, and it was like something was llike my tranny was restricting my car from accelerating, my engine was making a blunt noise like if your reving the engine, but not loud and it's like something finally caught and my car started to accelerate. Now, I know my tranny is not slipping when I shift gears so unless an individual gear can go out in an Auto tranny (1st in my case), then i'm not sure whats causing it. There are people that have said they have had similar problems when engine mounts go bad, but maybe this explaination I am giving you all will better help the problem get diagnosed. Do you all have any idea what it could be? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
How many miles do you have? I have 95k and my transmission mount is almost worn completely away, I should post a picture. I bet it's a mount and not the transmission slipping.
Old 02-07-2006
Extreme Member

I currently have around 65k on mine, but I do drive mine kind of hard and engage V-Tech frequently so it wouldn't surprise me if my other engine mounts were worn out. I actually took my civic into Honda over a month ago to get some work done on it and they discovered that one of the engine mounts needed to be replaced so they replaced it. They didn't replace them all so I am guessing it is another one that could be worn out. Did you have a similar problem when your engine mount started to go out?
Old 02-07-2006
Extreme Member

Also, I forgot to mention that i am driving up to St. Louis from Austin TX next week so I won't have enough time to get my car repaired. My engine won't fall out from under my car or anything, will it?
Old 02-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
it either sounds like a tranny problem or a mount. hard to say but if you're not getting power in only one gear, most likely the trans is breaking like it always does.
Old 02-07-2006
Extreme Member

Here's something new I tried later on today. To see if the vibration would occur in any other gear from stand still, I just shifted into 2nd gear and sure enough when accelerating my car started to shake like it usually wouls in first gear. When my car is in Drive, it never vibrated after it shifted into second gear. Sounds like an engine mount to me, what do you all think now?
Old 02-07-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that would definately cause the problems you have. if the engine is moving around, you wont get as much power to the wheels.
Old 02-09-2006
Extreme Member

So get this, yesterday my check engine light comes on for the first time in nearly the entire 3 weeks i've had this problem with my car. So I take it to Autozone to get them to give me the code, and their code reader says, "Cylinder 1 misfiring." Being that my spark plugs were only 20,000 miles old, I would have never expected that to be the problem, but I bought new bosch platinum's and replaced them right afterwards and problem solved. I just don't see how the check engine light didn't come on right when this problem occured but atleast it was a cheap fix.
Old 02-09-2006
Premium Member

yea for some reason that light is very picky. i had a misfire too and the car was shaking bad, but the light only came on once out of the 20 times it happened. i didn't suggest it cause usually you gotta have something wrong with the engine to get misfire. plugs going bad is very rare especially since the stocks are rated for 100k miles. good you found out the problem.
Old 02-10-2006
Extreme Member

Well it all started after I drove up to Breckenridge, CO for a ski trip about a month ago and drove all the way back to Austin, TX. That was a long trip of non-stop driving so maybe that had something to do with the spark plug failing.