Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Reving up the engine while braking. what does this do to the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bo_red will become famous soon enough
Reving up the engine while braking. what does this do to the tranny?

Ok. SO I was trying to sell my civic, and this guy showed up to see it. And then he gets into the car and puts it into the drive and revs up the engine all the while braking so the car doesn't go anywhere.

What kind of *******s do things like this? And what does things like that do to the tranny? ]

What was he checking for?

Thanks for any info. I didn't know which other forum to post this in.
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Reving up the engine while braking. what does this do to the tranny?

He was checking to make sure he's still a moron. You should of reached over, turned off the car, then told him to GTFO.

My guess is it probably just added some wear and tear to the torque converter but nothing major.
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bo_red

What kind of *******s do things like this?
if he had another brain, it would be lonely

What was he checking for?
he probably doesn't even know,

i think the better question is, what the hell did you do to him after this?

if it was my car i don't think he would get out of it alive
Old 05-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of *******s do things like this?
To you and all the other nay-sayers:

I do it.
I do it to many of the cars I get in.
I don't do it where owners can see it happen
(people like you might freak out).

I know exactly why I do it.
I know how long I can safely do it.

It is a perfectly acceptable method for testing certain things.
It's not abuse unless one abuses it
(doesn't know WTF they are doing).

Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Ok ezone. What are you looking for when you do it?
Old 05-20-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok ezone. What are you looking for when you do it?
Mostly looking for broken motor mounts and unusual noises, exhaust noise from a cracked manifold, unusual noises as the engine moves around on its mounts, stuff like that.

Hondas V6 vehicles eat motor mounts, so we do this check a lot in the shop.

-------
-------

Brake torquing, as this two-pedal action is commonly called, is also called a 'stall test' as in torque converter stall speed test, and can be used to evaluate trans clutch pack slippage among other things if one has the appropriate specs.

Standard time limit for doing this is 5 seconds maximum unless otherwise stated in the FSM, with a time period allowed to let the ATF cool down before doing it again.

(I don't really do this for trans testing unless there's a trans issue and the FSM directs such a test. Rare.)

--
--

However.....

Loading the engine and making it do some work -- as opposed to freely revving it up, makes different effects happen.
Combustion pressures increase dramatically under a load, in addition to generating a lot of heat quickly.

Ever HEAR the pfft-pfft-pfft sound of a loose spark plug? This can make it happen so it can be found.

An axle nut that isn't tight enough may allow the axle to POP loudly against the hub splines as it gets loaded in forward, then in reverse.

I might do this during a head gasket check as the increased combustion chamber pressures make any leakage happen more rapidly, it can make the leakage more noticeable (bubbles faster in the funnel).

If I'm doing this to check motor mounts, I've probably already noticed a problem during the test drive and am looking to see specifically which mounts have issues. (2 people required)

When I need to do it for this, it usually doesn't need to last more than about one second at a time.

This is no more stressful on the car than taking off from a dead stop at full throttle, and *bonus* this doesn't hurt tire tread.

HTH
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Holy ****! ezone delivers yet again!

This guy did it more than a couple off seconds at a time on all gears.

I didn't hear any of that noise. It was pretty solid. I'm having second thought about selling it now. The temp doesn't fluctuate at all. It's rock solid once it reaches the operating temp.

And I called around for the green coolant problem, and a well respected mechanic shop in fresno said they routinely use green coolant with no problems at all on Civics.

And that the reason for the honda coolant is so that honda can just make more money.
Old 05-20-2015

And I called around for the green coolant problem, and a well respected mechanic shop in fresno said they routinely use green coolant with no problems at all on Civics.

And that the reason for the honda coolant is so that honda can just make more money.

The main thing special about Hondas coolant other than long life is the formula is Silicate free and Borate free. And it's premixed with deionized water, so that reduces the chances of deposit buildup in the cooling system.

Silicates and Borates are considered to be abrasives to the engineers, and water pump seal tends to live much longer without leakage using this formula.

In the 12+ years I've now been working with Hondas the number of water pumps I've seen leaking has gone down a lot. I used to replace them regularly for leakage, now it's pretty dang rare.

I like what I've seen, I will continue to use it.

YMMV

Last edited by ezone; 05-20-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2015
Registered!!

I've just noticed something under my front passenger side.

Name:  yA1nV73.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  437.5 KB

and close up

Name:  w6mjM4c.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  581.7 KB

It seems like it's made of plastic and loose. Could this be result of the other day's brake torquing?
Old 05-21-2015

. Could this be result of the other day's brake torquing?
Nope.

Probably more like the splash shields have been ripped out from under the car by things like parking blocks or a front end bump or previous work and missing pushpins, and partially eaten off by rubbing on the front tires. That's just a guess, I can't really tell what used to be there.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

Ok. Another thing I;ve noticed in the last couple of days is that the transmission is acting weird since that guy did the torque braking. It's shifting rougher than before. It will rev up to past 3000 in the first gear and acceleration is slower than before.

But it doesn't do it all the time, but just every so often.

Should I be worried?
Old 05-26-2015

It will rev up to past 3000 in the first gear and acceleration is slower than before.
So... you're saying the engine is running bad now?
Check engine light on or anything?

You know the shift point RPM varies directly with engine load and how far you have the gas pedal pushed, right?
You can make it shift at 6000 RPM if you want, just mash the gas pedal to the floor and leave it there.

Which car are you dealing with here? 01? 02? Manual trans? Auto trans?
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

NO engine light is on. Engine seems to be ok, but the transmission seems to behave erratically sometimes. Not all the time, but it's hard to figure out when it does what it does.

It accelerates slow and then revs up to about 4K before shifting. And then after a while it goes back to normal. It's really hard to figure out what causes it.

2001, honda civic, 192K miles. I'm sure the tranny was replaced in the past as this is the lemon year for the tranny.

And there was a title transfer event around 100K which is when these trannies in this year models go out.

Oh and it's auto tranny

Last edited by bo_red; 05-26-2015 at 11:10 PM.