Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Ears in pain after a long road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DetroitCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ears in pain after a long road trip

I recently bought a bone-stock 2009 Civic Si Sedan. I’ve driven 8th gen Sis before and loved them. I bought this one down south, way below the salt belt, about 1,300 miles away. However, after my first 3-4 hour leg of the journey, I noticed my ears feeling pretty fatigued, and after the three day drive home, my ears were in real pain. Not ringing pain, but kind of a deep-down, worn out feeling pain. It literally took about a week for my ears to feel normal again. What the heck? I’ve read complaints about the 8th gen Civics’ excessive road noise, but the exhaust drone was pretty surprising from the stock exhaust.

Does this seem normal? I’m sure trips that are under a couple hours would be fine, but I’d like to have a car I can make longer road trips in as well.
Old 05-29-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ears in pain after a long road trip

Does it have an exhaust leak somewhere? Tires can create a lot of noise too.
Old 05-29-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP, next road trip leave the wife at home and your ears won't ring..
Old 05-29-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

@HR Puffinblunts Haha, lol. Like that video where the guy opens the passenger door.
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

I don't think I have an exhaust leak, is there a way to tell by the sound?

As for tires I looked and the car has Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, which apparently are not the quietest tires, based on some Googling, so there's that.
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

you can measure decibels of loudness inside.. some phones have apps too .. I use to have a decibel meter at work .. you can buy one.. then you will now the loudness..
now the is frequency too.. depends on the sound frequence some is more damaging even if its low in amplitude or decibals..
how the **** i know this, I use to test motors on dynos in reasearch and I was smart to protect myself..
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

That's a great idea. I have actually used a dB meter app on my phone and compared it against my brother's 2000's Impala. They register similar levels but I'm guessing it is a difference in frequencies - the Civic is producing frequencies that are fatiguing my ears much more (possibly slightly higher frequencies from the road noise and exhaust drone).