Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2009 Manual Civic - VTEC Spool Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delapoer is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Manual Civic - VTEC Spool Valve Replacement

Hey all,

I got done with an oil change at a dealership and they mentioned that the VTEC Spool Valve was leaking. They also threw out a $400 price tag . So I was wondering how easy/difficult this was to replace.

It seems like this video does a pretty decent job of covering what needs to be done (except maybe not having as easy of access). Also, it seems easy enough, but I'd rather not create a larger problem if I can avoid it.

I was wondering if this video would serve as a good guide on how to make the repair on a Civic? Also, I was wondering if I was going to need to jack the car up. Small side note, I am feeling the car struggle to shift every once in a while. There isn't any consistency to this problem, I was wondering if this could be related?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-29-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2009 Manual Civic - VTEC Spool Valve Replacement

instead of buying a valve (which you should only buy an oem one), just replace the two gaskets and that should solve the problem
Old 03-29-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Manual Civic - VTEC Spool Valve Replacement

The large rubber gasket (with the filter screen) you can see in the picture of the video is the one I replace frequently for oil leakage on these.

I personally haven't tried to find the 2nd gasket that's under the electrical portion.