Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Honda Civic Ex 2002 oil leaking problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam Post is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic Ex 2002 oil leaking problem

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L VTEC engine and this car has been a really good car to my Fiance for a long time. She doesn't want to part ways from it. it has around 170K on the dash. Now to the problem, I have reviewed a lot of links on this and checked them all and it seems to be leaking somewhere else. There is a "Cap" or cover over something below the EGR valve and behind the hoses that connect to the radiator that you can barely see. anyways, I have tried to find out what this is and cant figure it out. I used engine cleaner on the car this past Sunday and cleaned the engine as good as i could and when i took it for a test drive I found that there is oil leaking from that area. Like a good bit while driving. Enough that it is leaking on the exhaust manifold and smoking. Checked the oil level after about a 20-30 mile trip and i was about a quart low. If i need to take pictures and send them in on here i can but i figured i would get the thread started to see if anyone has had this problem before and if so, what is it and what part....Please Help.
Thank you all.
Old 06-03-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic Ex 2002 oil leaking problem

If i need to take pictures and send them in on here i can
Probably a good idea.

Enough that it is leaking on the exhaust manifold and smoking.
We already know what that mess looks like.

Take pics of the round cap (cam plug) and the vtec valve areas.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Vtec solenoid has two gaskets that can fail and spew oil.
Camshaft endplug can leak and seep.
Valve cover gasket.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

This is the pic I have. Two plugs under the air box and EGR valve. Leaking out of the one that doesn’t have a black cap. Looks like a connection plug on the back side of it... any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Here is a video of where I’m looking.. this is the only place I see where fresh oil is coming out at
let me know if the clip shows up or not
Old 06-03-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The picture shows the mess the oil leak has made, but we want to see the areas that would show the source of the leakage.
I don't see any video in the post either, can anyone else see it?
Old 06-03-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I see no video, upload it to YouTube as unlisted and post the link here