skipping clay bar step.... is a big deal?? - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2006   #1  
Registered!!

k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
skipping clay bar step.... is a big deal??

Im planning on polishing and waxing my car with my PC this weekend I usually:

wash twice
claybar
polish - menzenra FPII
sealant - Four star UPP

but im thinking of skipping the clay bar this time because polishing with my PC would likely get the same contaminants out and id thing that the clay bar adds to swirls than anything.......

what are you guys thoughts, is it that big of a deal skipping the clay bar step?
k-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #2  
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
Clay will scratch your paint if you don't use enough lube or if you don't periodically check your clay to remove any dirt particles stuck in the clay. Otherwise, it is perfectly safe to use on your paint.

As far as skipping, it's up to you. One thing I will say is that your end result will look as good as your prep work; it's all in the prep work. If your paint is rough, it will look crappy regardless of whether you used the PC or not. If you've never clayed your car before, I'd recommend it. When clayed properly, your detailing will look that much better. Good luck.
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #3  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
If you don't clay it, any defects you are trying to remove with the PC will take that much longer because it has to work through the contaminates. You also run the risk of getting residue in the pad you are using and possibly causing more damage than you fix. Its up to you, but for no longer than claying takes and the results it offers, I would do it.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #4  
Registered!!

ya the last time i clayed was about a year ago........hmm
Old 07-30-2006   #5  
Registered!!

EBP EX will become famous soon enoughEBP EX will become famous soon enough
i would do it.
EBP EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6  
Registered!!

ya i decided to do it......
Old 08-06-2006   #7  
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
just clayed, waxed and polished my vic
boricua_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #8  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i never clay and my car looks shiny and smooth just using glaze once and year and wax every few months.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #9  
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua_civic
just clayed, waxed and polished my vic
Lucky, i just washed and polished mine last night, then it just rained all today... i was so ticked.
LT2004ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #10  
There is [email protected] in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
gearbox, you may think it is smooth, but clay it and then rub your finger over both spots, one will feel like glass the other you'll feel bumps.
drew22mader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #11  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
The effect of the clay bar will amaze you, however the results are limited based on where you live. If you live in an area that has poor air quality, lots of agriculture and things like that, then you will definetly see significant results, however if your area is the opposite then the contaminates on your paint will be limited.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #12  
The internet says Im a loser

Anathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of light
What is PC?

If my paint wheren't all messed up I would take better care of it.
G/F backed into a wall, now its all scratched and stuff
Anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #13  

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
PC is short for Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer used to apply polishes, compounds, wax, swirl removers. The most wildly used one is the Porter Cable 7424. you can go to www.autopia.org and they have an awesome forum dedicated to Automobile Detailing and Cleaning.
Old 09-05-2006   #14  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i live in farm land. and drew yea i know what you mean. i went over my pinstripe scratches with the scratchx and it was really smooth compared to other areas. but clay bar is too much pain i couldnt get it to work without streaking.
Old 09-06-2006   #15  
Registered!!

EBP EX will become famous soon enoughEBP EX will become famous soon enough
I don't know why so many people are having problems with streaking when using the clay bar. Are you guys lubricating it enough?
Also, you should be washing the car again after the clay bar, and that would take away any streaking...

Last edited by EBP EX; 09-06-2006 at 01:11 PM.
EBP EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16  

streaking, meaning the Speed Detailer is streaking? I don't have a clue why either, you should wash,clay,wash then go with the swirl remover or polish, then glaze then wax.
Old 09-06-2006   #17  
Premium Member

the clay just gets caught on the car. everything is dripping i sprayed tons of detailer everywhere
Old 09-06-2006   #18  
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I dunno, I just did my car yesterday, the second time I ever used claybar and it went smoothly...except running low on wax part and I found my air filter broken when I opened the hood. Good thing I didnt suck up anything.
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #19  
Registered!!

SloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enoughSloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enough
i never skip the claybar process

i notice by using the claybar, the speks go from black to orange

being that my car is white.... i notice EVERY black spot
SloW4Sh0wVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #20  
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
yep... I just clayed, polished, glazed, waxed, ect... The detailer leaves behind a bunch of drip marks on the car- they get cleaned up quick with a wash or final wipedown. All good. But if u havent clayed, u have no idea what smooth is.
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #21  
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
yep... I just clayed, polished, glazed, waxed, ect... The detailer leaves behind a bunch of drip marks on the car- they get cleaned up quick with a wash or final wipedown. All good. But if u havent clayed, u have no idea what smooth is.
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote